Question Am I wrong to not want a modern computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nostopin

New
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am new to diving and have been using an old Suunto Vyper Air. So far I like it, it tells me everything I want to know. I want to get a backup now, but not sure if I want a new computer or find another older one.

Am I wrong to be apprehensive about modern computers requiring software updates? I’m just thinking about practically every modern device I have being glitchy and prone to failures that require calling some tech center to get it sorted out… not how I want to spend precious vacation time, on the phone. I like the idea that back in the Vyper Air era, they had to get it right the first time, no “release it and fix it as problems come up” business model.

What are your experiences with modern computers like Perdix or Luna 2, etc.? Are there any models where glitches/failures are unheard of?

Thanks,

I started using dive computers and NEVER dove without one since circa 1987. There were more issues with dive computers of the past than now.

Did you hear about the issues with Suunto dive computers that spanned many years and across several of their models? UWATEC? Mares? Delphi? Cochran?

Dive computers have actually gotten more reliable over the past 35 years.

I started using dive computers and dove without one since circa 1987. There were more issues with dive computers then than now.

Did you hear about the issues with Suunto dive computers that spanned many years and across several of their models? UWATEC? Mares? Delphi? Cochran?
No, I’m new diver, I’m not very familiar with the different dive computers past or present. I’ve just noticed people complaining about glitches and issues with software updates with their newer computers. Perhaps that’s just due to the percentage of people using newer gear rather than older gear?

I guess the best comparison I can make would be my old Nokia cell phone that was extremely reliable and good at being a phone vs my last Android phone that was extremely unreliable at everything. I just want a reliable phone

What kind of diving are you doing? Why do you need a backup computer as a new diver?

If you are doing NDL dives a backup of "call the dive, ascend normally and hold your safety stop" should be ok?

If you are doing longish trips then having a cheap familiar (second-hand) computer might be better as a backup? Suunto Vyper Air is decent for NDL diving. The Suunto algorithm might be picky, but it tends to err to more safety rather than unsafe stuff.

Depending on various factors if you want more safety perhaps spending the money e.g. on training might make more sense?

Personally I am diving with an ancient OSTC Mk.2 (like the display and open source) but it is bulky.

The vast majority of dive computers on the market these days are so reliable and hassle free. Mares, Scubapro, Shearwwater, Ratio, SEAC, Aqualung all have easy to use, simple and reliable computers available. Dive computers are kind of like phones in the sense that if you buy the latest, greatest and feature packed it will need updates and will be more prone to slight issues here and there. The basic models though you will find do the job intended and work just fine without any of the over complicated bells and whistles.
Mares Puck, Aqualung I330, Shearwater peregrine, SEAC screen, Ratio idive easy, scubapro A1 are just some of the computers that should give you hassel free diving the same as existing computer. Only thing would be to get one that uses the same algorithm as your current computer. I cant remember the last time I needed to do an update on my two computers (Ratio computers). You will find more complaints on things online than anything as people wont write or wow my dive computers been working a charm for 6 months now. Online forums are great for finding out fixes to issues or to voice complaints, and with the increasing number of divers in this world its natural to see more complaints about equipment.

What kind of diving are you doing? Why do you need a backup computer as a new diver?

If you are doing NDL dives a backup of "call the dive, ascend normally and hold your safety stop" should be ok?

If you are doing longish trips then having a cheap familiar (second-hand) computer might be better as a backup? Suunto Vyper Air is decent for NDL diving. The Suunto algorithm might be picky, but it tends to err to more safety rather than unsafe stuff.

Depending on various factors if you want more safety perhaps spending the money e.g. on training might make more sense?

Personally I am diving with an ancient OSTC Mk.2 (like the display and open source) but it is bulky.
One rather common reason for recreational divers to have a backup computer is for obvious reasons: you go into this 2 week galapagos liveaboard, and after the second day while you are donning the wetsuit you put the computer on the bench and the diver near you just sits down with full gear and the bottom of his tank meets with your computer. In this situation (been there done that) your computer is usually the one that breaks up. Now, you are computerless and supposed to wait 24 hours and switch to tables. Now if it was a regular diving back home I wouldn't care, but worked hard to set the galapagos trip is something completely different.

But if you had a backup computer all along- even if it was all the time in the bcd pocket- you are good to go.

What else? Another diving safari, checked batteries before the trip and everything was ok, but after the fourth day of diving the display shows "replace battery" and the computer wont work. Yeah, some computers like old suunto D6 only show two battery status "Battery Ok" or "Replace Battery", or the Vyper mentioned in OP has only four bars to show battery status... Been there done that too.

Also, the computer can fall overboard while moving from RIB into the boat- been there done that too.

Normally I dive back home with one computer, but when I travel abroad I have second backup in pocket, just is case because I hate spoiling my vacation.

It doesn't even have to do with redundancy and NDL or decompression concerns, or comparing algorithm etc. as backup in case of loss, breakage, or battery

You’ll be fine with the old Suunto but you’ll be finer with a newer computer. As a new diver you’ve likely never approached NDL with your dives limited by air consumption or a guide/instructor.

It’s ok being a Luddite but modern dive computers are not quite like being plugged into the Matrix.

Hi all,

I am new to diving and have been using an old Suunto Vyper Air. So far I like it, it tells me everything I want to know. I want to get a backup now, but not sure if I want a new computer or find another older one.

Am I wrong to be apprehensive about modern computers requiring software updates? I’m just thinking about practically every modern device I have being glitchy and prone to failures that require calling some tech center to get it sorted out… not how I want to spend precious vacation time, on the phone. I like the idea that back in the Vyper Air era, they had to get it right the first time, no “release it and fix it as problems come up” business model.

What are your experiences with modern computers like Perdix or Luna 2, etc.? Are there any models where glitches/failures are unheard of?

Thanks,
Would you want to keep using Windows 7 or a cell phone so old that doesn’t support software upgrades? If so, why?

Hi all,

Thanks,
If you intend to keep using the Vyper Air (e.g. you use also AI transmitter) then you probably want a similar computer, or you will find yourself watching at two computers that disagree on NDL times. This is because Suunto are using RGBM model, and most diving computers use Buhlman.

You shouldn't care too much about it- there are lots of emotional arguments on which is better or more conservative let us not spark it here- both are ok, but in my opinion, it is better to have similar computers. In this case, a Suunto Zoop Novo is probably your best computer as backup (simple to use, not expensive, nitrox etc.).

It lacks air integration, but I assume you will keep using the Vyper Air and have a simple computer as backup. An analog SPG as redundancy to transmitter makes more sense anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom