Ziploc - A housing manufacturer for the horrifically cheap?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Last edited:
or howabout this weirdness:

Liquid Image

or:

Liquid Image

OK now that is just too funny. I think the idea is really neat but see too many prblems that may or may not be addressed already.

Has anybody ever used one out there?

Just don't use the ones with the Moisture Vents...

Well. To be completely honest, I'm a little incouraged by the replies.

I expected something more to the tune of - it'll never work, my cousin from two towns over wrote off 20 cameras trying it.

Phase one - will be checking bag clarity underwater.
Phase two - checking a Ziploc bag's strength at 16' or 24' with something a little cheaper to replace - like a bagel?

It'll never work, my cousin from two towns over wrote off 20 cameras trying it.

It'll never work. I once knew a guy whose brother watered the fish for a woman who had an uncle that knew Bob (You know Bob right?) the farmer who was sisters with Larry and Susie's gardener.

I aim to please.

Well. To be completely honest, I'm a little incouraged by the replies.

I expected something more to the tune of - it'll never work, my cousin from two towns over wrote off 20 cameras trying it.

Phase one - will be checking bag clarity underwater.
Phase two - checking a Ziploc bag's strength at 16' or 24' with something a little cheaper to replace - like a bagel?

Well, do report back when you've tried it please. I'd be very curious to know. I've been thinking obout this, not for a camera though, but for taking a PDA down. I'm writing a software application for fish identification and was thinking that it would be awesome if one could take that down to depth with you on a PDA.

I've been meaning to try it as well (not with my PDA of course). Will also report back if I have any success (or otherwise).

First UW housing for Sony F 707:

undrc-housing-txt.jpg

Then when I bought my Sony F 828, I improved and made this one with a double layer ziploc bag inside another ziplock bag for 2X the protection:
cambag.jpg

Got some great shots snorkeling, but never diving. I would try it diving, but I already have a housing for my Oly 720 - good for 150 ft.

tropical-fish-comp-700x900.jpg

I've had ziplocs leak in a couple inches of water. I wouldn't count on it.

I've had ziplocs leak in a couple inches of water. I wouldn't count on it.

I have known (and drank heavily with) some of the quality control people for such bags and would never trust them. :rofl3:

Back
Top Bottom