Zincs or other tips to stop rust on truck ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Couldn't you have a pull out mat or a tray that covers your tailgate before you sit on it wet? I can see it in my mind's eye but in practice, perhaps not a viable solution.

Couldn't you have a pull out mat or a tray that covers your tailgate before you sit on it wet? I can see it in my mind's eye but in practice, perhaps not a viable solution.

Waterhog™ Carpet Mat - 3 x 3', Charcoal H-7187GR - Uline

Corrugated Rib Runner - 3 x 20' H-3652 - Uline

Rubber Mats - Goliath Products Canada

4 x 6 Rubber Utility Mat - Goliath Products Canada

Silicone mats for pets. Has a little lip, waterproof, easily cleaned and slip proof:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08B446SS...aWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl&th=1

Maybe you should look at bringing a fresh water shower to rinse yourself (and your gear) off before sitting on the tailgate?

I live in the rust capital of the world, with breaking surf 50 feet from my house. I tried undercoating, rust converter, pressure washing etc. on my current truck to no avail, although it did last 10 years which is pretty good here. A friend sent me 5 gallons of liquid lanolin which I am now using on my Volvo's undercarriage after pressure washing and drying. I have a low pressure "fogging" type air sprayer to apply it. So far results look good. When I replace my current truck I will try a regular spraying with the lanolin, as it can be sprayed into the interior of the tailgate and other cavities. i don't know about availability of lanolin in the USA but it's a big thing in Australia.

I live in the rust capital of the world, with breaking surf 50 feet from my house. I tried undercoating, rust converter, pressure washing etc. on my current truck to no avail, although it did last 10 years which is pretty good here. A friend sent me 5 gallons of liquid lanolin which I am now using on my Volvo's undercarriage after pressure washing and drying. I have a low pressure "fogging" type air sprayer to apply it. So far results look good. When I replace my current truck I will try a regular spraying with the lanolin, as it can be sprayed into the interior of the tailgate and other cavities. i don't know about availability of lanolin in the USA but it's a big thing in Australia.
That makes sense; put a rest preventive coating on it.

Had to laugh at lanolin: I have used it, but only for an advanced undergraduate course in plant physiology, where we used it as a carrier for plant hormones. (Dissolve the plant hormones in lanolin, apply it to the plant.)

I think we may have a winner in this, Chilly. I could probably modify one of these to have a slope that guides water over the back of the tailgate.

Once I have my gear off my body it goes straight into a tub, except for the tank. I could get a low-edged tray for my tanks and something similar for my buoy.

Years ago I did a trip to Byron Bay, the dive shop used to launch their boats off the beach using a Landrover which had a steel chassis and and an aluminium body. The steel was badly rusted but little or no sign of corrosion on the body. The aluminium body was not acting as an anode and was not protecting the steel.

I would be relying washing the truck and making sure any scratches in the paintwork were properly touched up to protest the steel.

Interesting idea, though I'd have to activate the shower on myself and gear while wearing it all, or I lose the utility of the tailgate.

In San Diego, at La Jolla cove there are public showers just for rinsing off after being in the ocean. Surfers and divers both. Walk out of the ocean, straight to the shower, rinse, walk to the car and unload the gear.

The Overlanding crowd will make a shower out of a length of black ABS plastic and put it on the roof for solar heat. Typically gravity water delivery but some use pumps. You could use air pressure. A shop regulator dialed down to 20 PSI or so and a BC quick connect. Walk up to the truck, plug in some air, have a nice 20 PSI shower/rinse.

I have a 5 gallon Cornilius can (old soda can) that sits upright in my van for water needs. It is pressurized to 20 PSI with a quick connect and delivers out a beer tap.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom