Zero vis air management

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cool, but I don't see how you can get full encapsulation using that mask.
SSA (Surface Supplied Air with SL-17) is best, the others are second best, in part because they do not provide full encapsulation.

Another option to read gauges etc is to fill a small ziplock with some clear water. when you need to see your gauges just hold the baggie against your mask and then position your gauges on the other end.. now if its black.. do the same after you hit your gauges with a light to get them to glow... keep in mind... I have seen it tooo dark and muddy for this to work..
good luck

Yes, surface supply just for black water. The whole point is you don't know what's down there and surface supply, done properly, gives you a virtually unlimited gas supply. It also removes gas management from the diver, letting him focus on diving.

As has been pointed out prior, it is far more gear and personnel intensive. We need 6 people absolute minimum to put two of them in on surface supply. Longer to set up, much more training needed, but it is really a quantum leap in safety and efficiency (given that most PSD dives are shallow enough to not need tables, you can work for hours and hours). You also have the most trouble free coms system you can have.

I've penetrated into some overhead environments, once in true black coffee water, that I simply would not have done without surface air.

We only go scuba/aga with a 100 or 80 plus a pony on a hard line coms tether when its essentially a bounce dive to an already located and roughly identified target.

We only go scuba/aga with a 80 plus a pony on a hard line coms tether when its essentially a bounce dive to an already located and roughly identified target, if we have that info.most of the time its patteren searching.Total 20min down and then up for rehab.

Hey bleeb..... there are no stupid questions.... but I have been on a recovery dive and the vis was so bad even with my flourscent gauge and a light I was unable to read my gauge... We ALWAYS have a tender and in really bad vis we use a 30 min cycle.... some guys don't hardy burn any air and some burn 1000psi but it is the safest solution to the "black water" problem that we have come up with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom