Zena vs. Lazer for colder water diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kelbat

Registered
Reaction score
Greetings all. Am seriously considering purchasing the Zeagle Zena. Was told by the owner of the LDS (in Canada) that she would not dive with the Zena locally because it was not rugged enough for temperate water & technical diving (I'm not certified for that anyway!)---that she much prefers her Lazer (LDS is a Zeagle dealer).

I had read great reviews of the Zena in this forum, and since the Zena & Lazer have similar lift capacity, her comments didn't seem to make much sense. THe Zena has fewer rings for gear, but other than that.... But I am a newby, and figured that I should consult the experts on this question. Welcome comments and many thanks, Kel

Kel,

There is a difference between the two BCs in materials.
The Lazer has 1000 denier cordura construction in the pack, harness and air cell.
The Zena is made of 400 denier nylon.
The zipper front design of the Zena is also not as sturdy as the cummerbund, waist clip & shoulder clip design of the Lazer; however your intended use may not require the added toughness.

For a recreational diver either will be very good.

If you are leaning towards "lite tech", avid spearfishing, becoming a DM or instructor, then a Lazer will hold up better.

Chad

I'd suggest looking at the Zeagle Stiletto instead. It's very tough, packs very small, and I know a lot more women who like it than the Zena (go figure; haven't spoken to anyone using the Lazer). Makes a great travel BC. You can sometimes find them for good prices lightly used on E-bay or SB if you're looking to save a few dollars. Oh, and I know they hold up in cold water, as I see them here in MA (water last weekend was 37F).

Rainer:
I'd suggest looking at the Zeagle Stiletto instead. It's very tough, packs very small, and I know a lot more women who like it than the Zena (go figure; haven't spoken to anyone using the Lazer). Makes a great travel BC. You can sometimes find them for good prices lightly used on E-bay or SB if you're looking to save a few dollars. Oh, and I know they hold up in cold water, as I see them here in MA (water last weekend was 37F).

The LaZer BC is pretty much a female version of the Stiletto...:wink:

ScottZeagle:
The LaZer BC is pretty much a female version of the Stiletto...:wink:

Does it have the same zipper in the front as the Zena? That's EXACTLY what most of the women I talked to HATED about the Zena. Um, not exactly comfortable for women with even normal sized breasts (at least according to them). If the Lazer has this, I *strongly* suggest that women give the Stiletto a chance! It's a very nice BC, for either a woman or man.

No, it doesn't have a zipper. It looks almost exactly like a Stiletto, except that the waist panels are set up a little higher, as women tend to have a higher natural waist than men. Most of our BCs are unisex, so women can use a Stiletto as well, if they so choose. Here is a photo of the LaZer BC, for reference:

LaZer.gif

Funny that you would say that the Zena was uncomfortable on women....most of the feedback we have recieved says the exact opposite...you can read a few reviews and feedback from females on this very website. Of course, every womans body is different, so what works great for one may not work well for the other - or the BC was not fitted properly.

Regardless, thanks for the input.

Scott

ScottZeagle:
No, it doesn't have a zipper. It looks almost exactly like a Stiletto, except that the waist panels are set up a little higher, as women tend to have a higher natural waist than men. Most of our BCs are unisex, so women can use a Stiletto as well, if they so choose. Here is a photo of the LaZer BC, for reference:

LaZer.gif

Funny that you would say that the Zena was uncomfortable on women....most of the feedback we have recieved says the exact opposite...you can read a few reviews and feedback from females on this very website. Of course, every womans body is different, so what works great for one may not work well for the other - or the BC was not fitted properly.

Regardless, thanks for the input.

Scott

Thanks for your response. New BC looks quite nice. As for the Zena, I also know some women who love it, just most I happen to have spoken too, did not. All of the women I've met who dive a Stiletto LOVE it. Regardless, Zeagle makes excellent products. I just suggest you try out a few models (ideally IN THE WATER) before choosing. Good luck!

Rainer:
Does it have the same zipper in the front as the Zena? That's EXACTLY what most of the women I talked to HATED about the Zena. Um, not exactly comfortable for women with even normal sized breasts (at least according to them). If the Lazer has this, I *strongly* suggest that women give the Stiletto a chance! It's a very nice BC, for either a woman or man.

I didn't like the closed in feeling of the Zena (and I'm below the average normal size) I've met several women who also opted for other Zeagle models over the Zena. It was nice to see that Zeagle came out with an alternative women's BC. Although it's easy to custom fit any model.

Many thanks for the words of wisdom in this line of inquiry! Thanks to the fine gents at Scubatoys (Larry & Joe & crew), I now have BOTH the Zena & Lazer to try on! Have to say that I was totally digging the Zena at first glance & first fit....this will be a tough decision. And as both have virtually the same lift capacity, I'll just have to decide if the difference in BC materials will make a difference for the type of (recreational) diving I will be doing, at least in the foreseeable future. At any rate, looks like excellent product from Zeagle.

Best from the frozen north, Kel

The Zena is the most outstanding womans BCD for warmer and tropical wetsuit diving.

However go the Lazer for cold water if you ever plan to wear a Drysuit, the Zena is a bit of a PITA with a Drysuit, the zipper can cover up the inflator button on the front.

Cheers
Chriso

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom