Zena review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Like "Mighty" says, you don't have to use the rip-cord system if you don't like it, but you can still use the BC. Fit being a primary issue, if a Zeagle fits best (& since they are made in components, they often are tempting choices for non-standard bodies) it may be the best option.

Zeagles are not cheap, though. The lightweight, packable aspect may be the selling point for you. Note: the weight system honked me off because I was carrying 30lb of lead (cold water diving) If you are only interested in warm water diving & are carrying a mere 9lb, it may not be an issue at all.

Originally posted by art.chick
Like "Mighty" says, you don't have to use the rip-cord system if you don't like it, but you can still use the BC. Fit being a primary issue, if a Zeagle fits best (& since they are made in components, they often are tempting choices for non-standard bodies) it may be the best option.

That's what I like about it.

Zeagles are not cheap, though. The lightweight, packable aspect may be the selling point for you. Note: the weight system honked me off because I was carrying 30lb of lead (cold water diving) If you are only interested in warm water diving & are carrying a mere 9lb, it may not be an issue at all. [/B]

Define "honked me off." What did the weight system do? Even in warm water, I wear 18lbs with a .5 mm diveskin (plus sized lady). Were you the one that liked the LadyHawk? That's another possibility for me.

Originally posted by MightyScuba
Yes, she does.

*grin*
And after meeting you two, I'm still trying to figure how to wolf whistle underwater :tease:

(You're a lucky guy, B!)

...I used to have the Zeagle Ranger (because the girl BCs did not fit me 3 years ago when I was buying). Does the Zena have Zeagle's patented "perpetual annoyance" weight release system? (Single red pull-tab that undoes intricately threaded pockets containing bags of lead?) ... If Zeagel ever makes something with "sane weights," I'm on it (or it's on ME!):eek:ut:
...if a Zeagle fits best (& since they are made in components, they often are tempting choices for non-standard bodies) it may be the best option.

Zeagles are not cheap, though. The lightweight, packable aspect may be the selling point for you. Note: the weight system honked me off because I was carrying 30lb of lead (cold water diving) If you are only interested in warm water diving & are carrying a mere 9lb, it may not be an issue at all.
Might wanna check out the DiveRite Transpac II. I didn't like Zeagle's weight release system either. I found the TP II has a customized component fit like Zeagle. It fits (and feels) great. No movement. Very high quality. Soft backback, easy for travel. Choose from seven interchangable wings for anything from travel to tech diving. I have TrekWings, which are kinda in the middle. (40 lbs of lift)

BIG weight pockets, optional, easy to add/remove. Originally I didn't want them, but while doing a weight check I found it most comfortable splitting the 30 lbs of lead between the back trim weights, pockets and belts. Big zip on top to easily add/remove weights, and really big, strong velcro on bottom for quick release. A DM showed me a nice trick: if you only use a weight belt, install a weight pocket upside down and it makes a nice storage pocket!

The TP II is little pricey, but actually not much more than the Ladyhawk. And you get a lot more flexibility. For example, if you gain/lose weight, just replace the waist strap. Add/remove steel D-rings yourself. Steel waist buckle. Optional full sport cumberbund. High chest strap that doesn't squish your breasts but keep shoulder straps nicely in place.

Let me know if you have any questions and I'll try to answer. Mine's still new. I just used it for the first time during practice in the pool. But so far, I love it!

Diving Doc,
Sorry not to reply sooner. In any integrated weight BC, the more weight u carry, the clumsier it is to put the damn thing on & off. The worst example was when I was in Mexico with a group of pals diving from a small boat. We had to hand our weight belts up to the DM before rolling back in. Because mine was integrated (& carrying 30 lb of weight), it was murder to pass it up to the poor guy. Few buddies were strong enough to help me into & out of the contraption. I use the belt all the time now.

Specifically concerning the Zeagle system, have you seen the intricate threading that holds your weight pockets in? You have to re-lace the thing by hand every time you release weights. If you miss a gromette, the space left between lacings can allow a pocket to slip out (if you don't have the whole load in, ie: you are in the tropics). And this discouraged me from releasing weights when I really probably should have on several occasions. (Couldn't stand the time/trouble/uncertainty of a perfect re-thread.)

Additionally, the Ranger trapped air & caused me to sail to the top on many occasions (I was less experienced than I am now, however, so who knows how I would handle it now?) Zeagles are the coolest-looking BCs on the market (IMHO), but my nerdy Aqualung Wave (practically has pocket-protectors) is simplicity that works for me. Oh, yes, I wasn't the one who loved the Ladyhawk; have yet to try it. It was my conclusion after watching my many mentors on the beach for 3 years that most of us are better off with really basic gear. Our pocket-books like it better, too!:wink:

Originally posted by ScubaFishee

Let me know if you have any questions and I'll try to answer. Mine's still new. I just used it for the first time during practice in the pool. But so far, I love it!

I think I dove a Dive-Rite when I last rented in Coz. What I still need t know is: What do you mean, "honked me off"? Did the weights fall out?

I don't especially like Zeagle's ripcord weight system either, because it means that I would have to reach across my chest and belly to grab the ripcord. If my arm is stuck or I just can't reach, I'm sunk. But hey, how often does one need to ditch one's weights?

I ended up buying a Zeagle Escape.
ET

Sorry --

Didn't see the post quoted below, when I replied. But really -- you only have to "ditch" your weights in an emergency requiring rapid ascent. For taking weights in and out or handing them up to the boat, you just have to unzip the weight pocket and take out the weight pouch.

Specifically concerning the Zeagle system, have you seen the intricate threading that holds your weight pockets in? You have to re-lace the thing by hand every time you release weights. If you miss a gromette, the space left between lacings can allow a pocket to slip out (if you don't have the whole load in, ie: you are in the tropics). And this discouraged me from releasing weights when I really probably should have on several occasions. (Couldn't stand the time/trouble/uncertainty of a perfect re-thread.)

What a great response for the Zena. I just bought a Diva LX and have not used it yet. I am supposed to use it this weekend. Has anyone heard or had any good or bad reports?

Originally posted by Scuba Princess
What a great response for the Zena. I just bought a Diva LX and have not used it yet. I am supposed to use it this weekend. Has anyone heard or had any good or bad reports?

I have a friend who uses the Diva QD and loves it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom