Zen WA100 Dome + Subsee 5+

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

smoore

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I remember reading somewhere on this forum (I haven't been able to find it by searching) that someone had done a DIY rig that allowed him to attach the Subsee 5+ to the Zen WA100 Dome and was getting good results. I think he use Velcro straps to attach the Olympus macro adaptor to the Zen dome. I just purchased the OMD EM5 MkII (to replace my EPL2) and Olympus housing and I am thinking of not taking the flat port with me on trips if I can attach the Subsee to the front of the Zen dome. I contacted Reefnet and they did not think this will work. If I can find the thread and do some testing myself I am hoping that I can convince them to fabricate a flip holder for use with the WA100. I am hoping to put the Olympus 60 mm behind the dome. I think the person who did this before was using the 14-42 lens. If I could try jury rigging this myself and take a few pictures in a pool, then I would know if it is worthwhile asking Reefnet to fabricate the flip holder.

I would appreciate any pros or cons to this project. I am hoping to install the Zen dome and then hopefully never have to put the Oly flat port on the housing again.

Relying on often vague memory I believe I saw Wisnu post a photo of maybe his daughter diving with what I thought was a Nauticam flip-holder on a mini-dome. Ocean-Optical shows one that could work perhaps. // ww
Here 'tis:
https://www.opticaloceansales.com/nauticam-m67-flip-diopter-holder-for-36137-4-semi-dome-port.html

Thanks. I did see those posts. I know that Nauticam does make a flip adaptor for one of its domes. That is why I wanted to find out if the same type of rig could work with Zen port. I recall someone with a DIY rig using velco to attach the Oly macro adaptor to the Zen. I want to try that out before I drop several hundred dollars on having Reefnet or someone else fabricate me a flip adaptor.

I got some decent shots with the oly macro adapter Velcro-ed to the WA100 in front of my M-1 and 14-42 lens. Did not try that combo with the 60. You could get away with just applying Velcro to the shade flanges and relying on friction to hold the adapter in place rather than actually velcroing them together, if that makes sense.

It worked for one dive trip, but I went ahead and got a flat port to use with the 60 and my 12-50 (the electric zoom on the M-1 and M-5II make that a nice combo). As your set up comes with the flat port, I'd say that's the better option for macro. I know weight and luggage space is important, but it's worth having the flexibility of both. I'll try to post a shot or two tonight taken with the Velcro done approach.

---------- Post added April 15th, 2015 at 09:12 PM ----------

I looked through my shots with the dome, and nothing with the macro adapter made my keeper file except for a couple at around 30mm. Conditions weren't the greatest (cold water with the first hint of a seasonal algae bloom affecting viz), so it's hard to say how effective this combo is.

I haven't tried it since the dive trip noted above- the results just weren't that great. Also, I was borrowing a 14-42 on that trip as my 12-50 didn't shoot through the dome very well. Most of my dives are with the 12-50 (for now- I'm getting ready to switch to the 12-40), and as the flat port is better with the 60, I only use the dome with the 9-18. I don't have to fly to dive so it makes more sense for me to change ports to best match the lens. I will say that mechanically, having the macro adapter velcroed to the dome did get the job done and I'm not sure if dropping that kind of EUR will get any better results. Hope this helps...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom