Zen Super Dome Floods...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tangocwk

New
Reaction score
I am a professional underwater photographer, and underwater photography specialty instructor. I am using the ZEN 230mm Super Dome which purchased at February via Reef Photo Video. And I used it not more than 20 dives. I used it with ikelite housing. Yesterday, I gear up my system as usual and tested in fresh water, everything was fine. And then I go into the ocean to do my shooting. However, when I go into the water and try to turn on the camera, I realized that the housing is 1/2 flooded. I was at 18m at that time. Immediately I ascend to surface, the water come in very fast, when I arrive the surface already 4/5 flooded. After I got into the boat, I realized that the waters come out from the front part of the dome port, that was the sealing of the dome. Every lock behind it was fine. And I opened the housing and try to save my camera. When the boat heading back, the glass of the super dome even fall out!! I cannot imagine it! It seems that the dome port itself wasn't seal properly. The little crack was done when the glass fall out. My canon 6D and 16-35 F2.8L is completely dead. And I don't know whether my ikelite electronic board will survive. I am very disappointed, anyone experience this before? https://drive.google.com/folderview...UUp0NXNzVW9qU05kLVByLV9pRlFrTlE&usp=drive_web

Sorry to hear about the flood and loss of your camera/lens. That seems like a very unusual way for a flood to occur.

My best guess is that your dome port was knocked against something, which caused the crack in the glass (which you maybe could not see), and that is what caused the dome to come apart from the port. When you surfaced and the dome fell off of the port, the broken glass came off, but I would think it most likely was broken prior to your dive.

Please update this thread if you figure out the issue.

Thats one of my thought before, but that part of the crack should be protected by the border of the dome shade. If it was being knocked, its impossible to have cracks on that part... I will keep updating, thanks =)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom