Zeiss-Sony 16-70mm E-mount NEX Zoom is Finally Here!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the important points, Phil. That's what I suspected. All in, it's a pretty expensive setup. Will mull over it for a few weeks before I decide.

4th Zeiss 16-70 update-good to bad:

My Z16-70 arrived today. First thing I did was measure the lens full out at 70mm to see if it would work with Port 72 and a 30mm extension (my earlier computations from Zeiss said it needed 32mm). The good news is the lens will fit perfectly within Port 72 with 30mm of extension. The Zeiss may be even be .2mm shorter for safekeeping.

Okay, now the first bad news: the 18-55mm zoom gear is too narrow and a bit shy in width to fit onto the Z16-70 barrel. Therefore one cannot even jimmy-rig it to work, necessitating a new gear from Nauticam to use the lens.

Finally, saved the worst news for last: Being that the Z16-70 is wider than the 18-55, I tested it for vignetting in Port 72. This wasn't an accurate test, as I don't have a 30mm extension, but I was able to mark the lens at 30mm and carefully hold the port at the point close to the mark. The optical design of the 16-70 has longer movement than the 18-55mm kit, to the point where port vignetting started at approximately 24mm, not at 18 liked I had hoped. Roughly, this means the lens is good from 24-70mm range in Port 72 and most likely in 4" SD. The 18-55mm kit on the other hand does it's full range of 18-55mm with no vignetting. Moreover, given the difference in minimum focus distance between the two lens (roughly 8" vs 13" for the Z), it's been pointed out by knowledgable others on this site that the magnification level at 70mm won't be all that much greater than the kit lens at 55mm when using diopters. I have a 55 to 67mm step-up ring on it's way, so I'll be able to make some surface comparisons without the port being UW. It will, however, give some real world answers to magnification, but to be honest, I don't expect much more magnification for the reasons stated by them. I'll find out shortly though.

Outside of any HQ advantage, the trade-offs of using the Z16-70 to replace the 18-55 don't appear to be worth it unless Nauticam makes a whole new port for it, which I have been told by their major dealers, they are not likely to do. Nor do they expect them to make a zoom gear due to the limitations I've pointed out. Without a zoom gear, it's not even possible to use the lens in the 24-70mm range unless one can modify another lens gear and make it work somehow, which would not be worth all the trouble unless the sharpness blows the 18-55 out of the water and the magnification increases. I can live with the 24mm on the short side, but what's the point unless one sees vast improvement on the long end? The 18-55 is a nice versatile single dive lens and sharper in my opinion than what some say, so I would have to be really impressed with higher HQ from the Zeiss to make the switch, especially considering the cost factors involved.

Reports are coming in now on sharpness tests by users of the new Z16-70 on DPREVIEW. It's a mixed bag, some saying the lens has much higher overall HQ, while others are saying the corners are soft and the center of the image is not as sharp as the 18-55, which is discouraging to say the least for a $1K lens. I plan to take the lens outside soon and compare the sweet part of both lens at around f8-11 and compare sharpness with 100X blow-ups in the center and corners to see for myself.

Looks like we'll be waiting for the Zeiss 50mm macro as our best bet for glass investment. I'll most likely return this lens to Amazon and get my money back and save it for the Zeiss macro when it arrives in a few months. The Z16-70 is an excellent surface lens for sure, but my interest are mostly UW and I'd rather spend my money on a lens that offers clear advantage there.

If the Zeiss macro doesn't make it before my departure for the Philippines in December, I may just spend $200 on the Sigma 60 w/ converter tubes (used price) for super-macro work, accepting it's limited range issues. Call it the poor man's macro :) It's a super sharp lens flat across it's field with very little CA, works well with +5 and +10 diopters and fits perfectly in Port 72. Hopefully, the Zeiss macro will get here before then.

Wish I had better news.

Cheers and happy diving,

Marshall

If the Zeiss macro doesn't make it before my departure for the Philippines in December, I may just spend $200 on the Sigma 60 w/ converter tubes (used price) for super-macro work, accepting it's limited range issues. Call it the poor man's macro :) It's a super sharp lens flat across it's field with very little CA, works well with +5 and +10 diopters and fits perfectly in Port 72. Hopefully, the Zeiss macro will get here before then.

Wish I had better news.

Cheers and happy diving,

Marshall[/QUOTE]

Seems like things have gone quite on the Sony Rumours site regarding the macro lens. Too much excitement about new FF cameras.

Alien,

Well, the engineer I talked to at Zeiss said he inquired about the macro release and was told late 2013 or early 2014. B&H changed their expected release date to Nov. 8th. So, perhaps the date may be fairly accurate or early in the new year. At least we know it's coming. Funny that Zeiss is being so tight lipped about it's specifications, like it's physical size and whether it's a 1:1 or 1:2 macro. I mean they must be obviously past the design stage at this point ? At a F2.8 speed, I suspect it will fit the mini-port system with no problems.

I tested the Z16-70 tonight for magnification compared to the 18-55mm. As mentioned by others, the longer minimum focusing distance of the Z16-70 negates it's longer 70mm length when it comes to magnification with diopters. The magnification with a +10 diopter was almost identical for the two lens. Nauticam would have to make a much wider port to take advantage of the full range of this Zeiss zoom. I've been told not to hold my breath :) I'm not going to do much more testing since without a zoom gear, one can't use it anyway in the existing ports. Too bad too, because the length of the lens fit perfect with an available 30mm extension in the existing ports, but the port optics doesn't come close to working across it wider range.

The Zeiss is a really nice tiny compact zoom though, not much bigger than the kit lens. Great lens for someone who wants a sharp all-in-one lens for travel and everyday photography.

Zeiss macro update:

My contact at Zeiss informed me this morning that the Zeiss 50mm macro NEX e-mount will be released soon by years end.

The good news is it will be have 1:1 maximum magnification. It's length is 86mm and width at 64.6mm. Like the Canon macros, it's an internal focus model staying the same length throughout it's focus range.

So it will fit in the Nauticam mini-port system. The bad news is the 86 mm length is 3mm longer than the 18-55 kit fully extended, which means it won't work in Port 72. This is a bit of a surprise because the Sigma 60mm is 10mm shorter than the 18-55. However, the initial measurements of the 16-70 that I reported on earlier was calculated to be 2mm longer than the Port 72 with a 30mm extension, but in the end it's length was perfect. So, maybe there 's a slight chance it may work in Port 72, but I get the feeling it's going to be a hair too long.

Still great news that we finally are going to have a sharp 50mm 1:1 macro for the NEX system.

B&H has changed their expected date of delivery to Nov. 8th. I got the feeling from the Zeiss rep that it may be more like the beginning of Dec, but we'll see.

Good HQ news all around! A sharp Zeiss 50mm macro and 12mm WA for our NEX. The 10-88 is pretty good lens too, so glass is looking up for the platform.

Marshall

Cameralabs.com released a video review yesterday regarding the Sony A7 & A7r which can be viewed at sonyalpharumors.com. The reviewer said that Sony has ended the NEX line and that we will see no more NEX cameras. I found this a bit odd since the NEX line has done well for Sony. He gave the impression that the E-mount would remain but only as a full frame camera not as an APS-C camera. Perhaps what they will rename the APS-C E-mount cameras A-cameras like the A7/A7r line.

Phil

Interesting, Sony just released the ILCE-3000 SLR style body, along with the new NEX-5T a few weeks ago which uses E-mount and APS-C sensors. In light of this, one wonders about the validity of such rumors. I mean Sony has made a decision to abandon a camera system they just released last month? And Zeiss and Sony having recently released several new lens for the E-mount APS-C platform are going to stop supporting it? Maybe they mean that Sony is abandoning the compact mirrorless body style, but will continue to make APS-C lens. Yet, the compact form factor fits well if they're going to continue making both APS-C and FF lens. Travelers and others like the small form factor and large sensor. As long as they and others keep supporting the APS-C E-mount lens platform, those of us who shoot NEX will be okay.

The news of the new a7 and a7R are great news for high end shooters and it's now posted on their Sony store. Since it uses the E-mount lens system , how long will a7 users have to wait for a full compliment of lens, since FF A-mount lens will still require an LA-EA1 adapter?

It will be interesting to see how Nauticam addresses this new FF format. Perhaps a new body that uses their larger SLR ports? For FF shooters looking for a more compact system this is great news. Wish I could afford the new FF format, but everything will get bigger and heavier and definitely more expensive.

Sony is sure paving the way in many different directions. It'll be interesting to see how it all pans out.

Totally psyched that it will be 1:1. That news made my year!!!! As for a timeline. My Zeiss contact told me that it is being intoduced next week at the photo plus expo in NY. I know i'll be there!

Totally psyched that it will be 1:1. That news made my year!!!! As for a timeline. My Zeiss contact told me that it is being intoduced next week at the photo plus expo in NY. I know i'll be there!

Great please report back to us. 1:1 is greta news. Thanks to Marshmellow as well.

---------- Post added October 21st, 2013 at 08:54 AM ----------

I have the macro port and hardly use it so will be great if it fits in this.

Great please report back to us. 1:1 is greta news. Thanks to Marshmellow as well.

---------- Post added October 21st, 2013 at 08:54 AM ----------

I have the macro port and hardly use it so will be great if it fits in this.

Ok. So good News. I got to play with the 50 today! It's beautiful!! But that said it was a preproduction model and had focus speed issues. Worse. It won't be out until feb 2014. But a ray of sunshine. The zeiss guys told me they have more APSC emount lenses in the works!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom