Zebra Mussels and Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Would it be considered morally objectionable to introduce the zebra muscle to 288 lake? :)

I kid. I kid! I do enjoy the fish hanging about.

Thanks. Do you think our salt water hot tub would suffice which has 3ish ppm of chlorine? I might even be able to fill the bladder from our well water filtration system. We have a chlorinated reaction tank with a valve after to check for free chlorine which we keep at 1ppm.

This seems like a very interesting place to dive. I might have to read more about this site. $230 for the class is high but sounds like they provide a lot of great instruction.

Sorry, but I do not know what levels of salt or chlorine are suitable for killing the zebra mussel larvae other than what was in the course documentation as I described in my previous post.

The Spring Lake Dive Authorization course fee is possibly high compared to other dive courses, but the course is very interesting, and taking the course is the only way you can dive in the spring. An exception to that is for students taking a course, such as OW, from an instructor that is also certified to dive in the spring. If you take the Dive Authorization Course, you can also pay an extra fee and get a PADI Specialty Card for the course. Although I have no use for the specialty card, since the Meadows Center for Water and the Environment/TX State Univ., which manages the spring, gets to keep the fee, I paid the fee as a donation.
The volunteer diving is a lot of fun, in crystal clear, 70-71 degree water, but you are actually working whatever task you and your buddy are given for your assigned dive time. There are several videos on YouTube on diving Spring Lake to give you an idea of what it is like.

Sorry, but I do not know what levels of salt or chlorine are suitable for killing the zebra mussel larvae other than what was in the course documentation as I described in my previous post.

No problem. I am going to sent an email to our DNR to see what they say.

There are several videos on YouTube on diving Spring Lake to give you an idea of what it is like.

I checked some of those videos out. Very nice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom