Zeagle Zena vs Aqua Lung Libra

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jfb87

New
Reaction score
After experiencing how proper fitting equipment can make a world of difference, I have decided to invest in my own BCD. I am extremely petite (5'1 - 98 lbs) and have narrowed down my search to either a Zeagle Zena or Aqua Lung Libra. I have found many great reviews for the Zena (downside being the rip-cord weight release). However, I can't seem to find reviews for the Aqua Libra. I would greatly appreciate any feedback. Thank you.

Although I have nothing to say about the Libra, I'm wondering what you've heard is the downside of the rip-cord weight release. IMO it's the best integrated system on the planet, enabling you to use any type of weight that will fit in the pockets with a super easy way of putting them in and taking them out (via the zipper). You never have to worry about velcro aging or the weights falling out, unless you're using 1# bullet weights, those will slip through the threading on the rip-cord. The rip-cord is easy to rethread, and considering that you only have to do it if you've used it in an emergency, the chances you'll ever have to rethread are slim to none.

What I will say about your decision is to pick the one that fits you best. The Zena has 6 points of adjustment on the body and a 3 piece modular system designed to give you a custom fit. Once you've properly adjusted it on your body before a dive, it will never move. Yes, I'm a bit biased, I have well over 500 dives on my Zena and after 9 years it is just starting to show some wear.

All that said, pick what fits you best and what you're most comfortable with. No matter what anyone says about certain types/pieces of gear (including me), fit and comfort are your #1 priorities when choosing equipment.

My wife and daughter both love thier Zenas. I dive a Zeagle brigade and love the ripcord system. If a diver is weighted correctly dumping weights should never be required. If you do just "gotta" dump weights its only pull away.

I love my Zena, too, and have almost 200 dives in it now. I love the snug fit that's easily adjustable, and I bought pouches for my soft lead weights so they stay in the pockets with no problems. The pouches also make it easier to remove the weights at the end of the day. It's also great for travel due to its light weight and compactness.

I have the Libra and I'm very happy with it. I've never tried the Zena so I can't compare. The weight pockets are a good size and seem secure, but I still usually wear a weight belt too because I dive in cold water and don't like loading up the pockets with too much lead. I'm not sure they have a size that would fit you though - I'm about 2 inches taller, 20 lbs heavier, and usually wearing a bulky drysuit and I wear a size S (which I think is the smallest size?). Have you tried it on?

I have owned both and prefer the Libra by a mile over the Zena.

I LOVE my Zena. Granted I don't have nearly as many dives on it as most of the ladies who have chimed in - about 60 - but it travels well (we only carry on even for a week), and all the adjustment points are great. I am quite tall, and love that you can get different sizes in the different pieces for the perfect fit. This also means should your size change in the future you can order new pieces instead of a whole new BCD. Also, and this is quite superficial, I think the zipper vest is awesome - no velcro to snag a swimsuit or wetsuit. Just one of my little idiosyncrasies, can't stand a picked swimsuit.

The bottom line is that you need to try both on, preferably in your size, so that you can decide which is most comfortable for YOU.

I definitely prefer the Libra. I find it fairly comfortable on the ground when walking around geared up and practically don't know it is there at all once I'm in the water. For some reason, I just felt the weight of the tank more in the Zena on the ground, noticed it more when I moved around in the water and plain old just wasn't as comfortable in it. I'm not a huge fan of the zip-up vest, either. For what it's worth, I don't like the sports bra panels on the Aqua Lung Pearl either.

Of course, there are plenty of ladies who love both of the BCDs that I wasn't a fan of, so take my opinion with a grain of salt, and try on lots of different options to find what works for you. Even better is finding ones you can use on a dive.

Back
Top Bottom