Zeagle Scout BCD?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wgw04024

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone out there has tried this bcd. I currently have a Zeagle Stilleto, and like it, except i think it's a little long for my torso. I use integrated weights, but would rather use a belt, but it doesn't seem to fit well with this bcd. According to their sizing chart, i could easily jump down to a medium size from Large. And if i'm going to switch to the belt, i dont' need the integrated weight system. The scout 'looks' like the stilleto without this extra feature. Anyone have any first hand advice to add?

Thanks,
Bill

if you're diving locally, just go to a backplate and wing. You'll be much better off. weight belt will be much easier to work with, you'll be able to drop a bunch of weight from it in the first place, etc etc. Biggest thing is you are sacrificing a lot of lift with the scout that you need with the stiletto. 24lbs isn't a lot of lift if you are diving up in Maine, especially in a wetsuit.

Well, if I'm going for slightly negative when my tank is empty, isn't my lift really just compensating for the extra weight i'm wearing when my tank is full (which is 9lb i think on a steel 100)? You're right about a bpw, I'll look at that as well and then I can keep the 35lb wing. Plus, the plate will let me drop weight also. I use about 24lbs with an 8mm aqualung (love the wetsuit). I'm comfy down to around 45F.

Thanks for the comments!
Bill

no, you also have to compensate for the total positive buoyancy of the wetsuit. Using 24lbs of lead with a 100cf tank means you need at minimum 35lbs of lift. With a bpw you should be able to get away with a 30, but it could be cutting it close. If you go with Deep Sea Supply, you can put the weight plates on it which would take the majority of the lead off of your belt. Going from a Zeagle to a BP/W should drop 4lbs or so, and the rig with weight plates is about 14lbs, so you'd be down to 6-8lbs on your weight belt. Give Tobin a call and talk to him, tell him I sent you over there and hear his comments, but it is money well spent.

Hope you're enjoying the warm start of winter so far, I genuinely miss living up in Maine this time of year...

Yes, the weather has been fantastic from September on until now. However, for those of us that snowboard, this weather is really starting to suck a fat one. :(

Wouldn't I also consider how much lift my 8mm wetsuit is giving me? After all, a bunch of my weight is to counteract the buoyancy of the neoprene isn't it?

Thanks,
Bill

Wouldn't I also consider how much lift my 8mm wetsuit is giving me? After all, a bunch of my weight is to counteract the buoyancy of the neoprene isn't it?

Yes, but the way that works is, you need to consider how much buoyancy it'll lose to compression at depth and how much air you'll have to pump in the wing to compensate. What tbone meant by "especially in a wetsuit": up top you have to add lead to get it down, at depth you have to add air to balance out all that lead.

what he said. this should have been covered in your basic OW class btw...

Your lead requirement is determined by how much weight it takes to sink you at the surface at the empty tank. Your lift requirement is determined by how much air it takes to float the whole rig without you in it. I.e. weight of the rig itself, plus all of the lead that you have to wear. So by saying you take 24lbs to sink with a HP100, which we need to know if it is a worthington, pst, or faber, but it's 24lbs, plus 1.5-3.5lbs for the tank, plus 2lbs for the regulator, plus 8-9lbs for the gas in the tank. Grant total is between 36 and 39lbs of lift required in the wing. Now, some of that lead is probably accounting for inherent buoyancy of the rig, and I can almost guarantee you are overweighted, so a 35lb wing should work fine, but a 24lb wing would be very dangerous, especially if you're diving in the ocean.

I have the Scout and love it. Its my choice of BC for singles. Probably one of the best BCDs on the market overall, durable and versatile. Good travel set up and works well locally, both fresh and salt water. You can, if you want a little more lift, trade out the wings from the Stiletto with the Scout. It is really easy to do. Usually most divers are way over weighted and so they need more lift to compensate for the extra lead.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom