Zeagle Ranger

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

otobmark once bubbled...
The only unavoidable negative about wings is that they float you face down at the surface

It's not unavoidable at all.
and you have to swim on your back to travel at the surface.

Why is this? Travel face down or on your back. I find on my back is easier no matter what type of BC I have on, but face down works equally well with a jacket and wing.

I used to use a Zeagle Ranger. Great BC but it has quite a bit of inherent buoyancy. I found that I had to use quite a bit more lead to compensate for this. Other than that, no problems. It's very well made and durable. You might want to try a harness and backplate/wing setup or Transpac 2. Both are much more streamlined and simple to use. The ripcord is interesting, but there are situations where you WOULD NOT want to dump ALLyour weight at once as it would definitely preclude making a controlled ascent.

I dove a ranger (and I dive a fair bit)... best BC I'd had to that point... I really liked it. It had excellent resale value as well... I think I sold it for $100 less that I paid for it.

However... there is no comparision between a backplate/harness/wing. I didn't realize just how floppy and floaty the ranger was until I tried the Halcyon rig.

I bought the Halcyon on the spot... and never dove the ranger again.

:) Pug, I agree. Absolutely no comparison to BP/Harness/Wing. I use Halcyon/Pioneer 27# with AL BP. I bought my BP after I got tired of the Ranger. That was 3 yrs ago. I dive with a long hose and dual regs. I don't consider myself DIR, I just see the advantages to a very streamlined gear configuration for overall diving safety and comfort. How bout you?

Although I am a BP and wing convert, I still use my Zeagle Ranger for single tank diving. Been using the same one for over 6 years without a single problem. I highly recommend this BC.

I have owned my ranger for over a year and I have not had any problems with it. I also purchased the rear tank weight pockets, and have found them to be very helpful in keeping me from going forward at the surface. just my .02

I switched over to the Zeagle Tech after 100 dives. I would suggest you take a look at the Tech as well, mine has 100 dives and looks new (mostly!!). I liked the bigger wing and the buckles instead of the cummerbund. Also a few more attachment points. The pockets are still hard to get to though and virtually useless. I will eventually go to a backplate set up though to streamline even more.

SeaRun

Without getting into the BP/Wing VS Ranger debate (I have both...both are great...used for different purposes)...the common complaint that back inflation bcs "put your face in the water" results from overinflation at the surface.

New divers in particular feel they need to have their heads high above (out of...) the water and put *lots* of air in their bcs. While a back inflation bc is meant to help keep you more horizontal than a jacket style while diving (a very good thing!), at the surface one can float very comfortably "erect" if they simply relax and add just *a little* air...don't overinflate.

:) actually mud dog..there is no BP/Wings vs. Ranger debate. The excessive inherent buyoancy of the Ranger, along with the basically unstreamlined profile combine to make it a less than ideal choice for ANY diving environment. BP/WIngs or Transpac would be a better choice for most as they simplify the entire system and reduce it to it's barest, but most necessary bones. The extra pockets, dangling straps and lack of logical gear attachment points (or excessive attachment points), are always problematic. Still, can't argue with the quality construction of any Zeagle product. Love their regs. ZG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom