Zeagle Ranger

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tatonka

Reaction score
Hi!

I've just purchased a Zeagle Ranger, and I got a few questions regarding the Weight system

1. The pocket where the weights are supposed to be in, is there supposed to be a bog or something? I am under the impression if I put the weight it as it is, the weights may shift around.

2. As this is my first BC, and I read about black inflation BC have the tendency the push the diver face down upon surface. What is the thing I should do for my Ranger, to solve this problem.

3. I figured that the BC is a bit Bulky, and I am intending to travel around with it. (think I may got the wrong BC:confused: ) What is the most efficient way to pack the Ranger BC?

4. I got the BC new in a Box, in it there is only a Warranty card and Users' manual. Did I miss out on anything?

Thank you for your time.... am eager to try out my Ranger :D

And welcome to Scuba Board Tatonka!
1. Zeagle makes a bag for soft weights but what I used to do was use solid hip weights with a nylon strap attached to them to make removal easier.
2. They can but if you don't inflate it all the way you should be OK.
3. Yes Rangers are bulky but they do have good resale value so if it doesn't work out you can ebay it.
4. You should have also gotten an inflator hose for your first stage regulator.

Welcome to the board Tatonka. The only thing that I have to add to UP's post is that Zeagle offers 2 sizes of weight bags. I use the small size and they are plenty large enough for 20- 24 lbs (10 to 12 lbs each side). They do make installing and removing the weights easier as well.

Get all the air out the wing. Lay the BC on the floor (carpet or rug recommended). Unclip quick release clips on shoulder straps. Lay top section flat, straps extended, extend waist sections to left and right (remove weight bags). Fold waist sections back in, doubling over. Fold shoulder section down over folded waist panels, tuck any straps into the folded BC. Secure with a bungee if you like, I don't. Put in bag, fold inflator hose/octo+ or whatever into a cavity in the folded pack - I use a Eddie Baurer 20" roll on - legal carryon size, never questioned.

I can get the Ranger (takes up about half the bag, my mask (soft pouch), my reg into the bag with extra inch section of the bag unzipped without putting pressure on anything. There's likely to be a bit of extra space for the weight pouches, possibly lightweight dive boots, possibly a bathing suit, but not much more. My other carryon is either my camera (Pelican 1450) or a small backpack with clothing, any meds, and odds and ends.

To reduce vertical bulk a bit, you could unthread the tank straps from the cam section and extend them up and around the BC in the bag. I don't disassemble anything else.

This probably makes no sense without pics but the key I found is unclipping the shoulder straps before folding the BC also getting all the air out of the wing. Bulk seems to be reduced. This process takes about 5 min after practice.

If I don't carry it on, no sweat - folded as above, it'll fit any standard bag or duffel.

Hope this helps.

Bill

If you do not put your weights in a bag, they may fall out through the cords on the bottom of the weight pockets. If you do not want to buy the bags, you might be able to put two or more weights on a short piece of weight belt webbing (use plastic weight keepers) before placing them in the pocket. The resulting assembly would be too large to slip out and easier to handle.

Other than buying a larger suitcase there is not much you can do about packing. It is what it is. Make sure the wing is completely deflated. Don't feel bad, there are even harder to pack BC's.

As for the push forward thing, in addition to not fully inflating the wing at the surface, try leaning back. Use your fins for leverage. You might also try moving some weight onto the upper camband. That will probably help with trim as well.

Don't let anyone around here razz you about owning a Ranger. This board has a DIR/Backplate orientation. As far as they are concerned, everything else belongs on Ebay and nirvana is only accessable to backplate owners. I have several friends that own Rangers and they are happy.

on it, maybe you can return it and get something that isn't bulky, hard to pack, and needs a Rube-Goldberg fix to keep the weights in place.

pretty standard. Thanks a lot for calling my DIY idea Rube Goldberg. Guess what I think of crotch straps?

edited to change DYI to DIY, or do it yourself

Hey Cyklon, am I remembering correctly from your prior posts that you used to have a Ranger? Didn't you get rid of it? How many dives did you have on it? I'd think if a guy has owned one and used it extensively, he's entitled to make a comment.

Thanks for all the advices! :)

I had the same worries about the weights falling out after I was playing around with the BC at home.

Getting weight bags sounds like the way to do in order to avoid weights from slipping out. Maybe I can make a "bag" out of my torn clothings... need to save some $$ for travelling.

BillAllbritten, you help me alot, I can roughly make out what you are trying to describe. Will try it out and play around with it. Thank goodness my departure date is not tomorrow :D

I intend to check in my dive gears minus the camera and reg. . Putting the gears in a hard case suitcase. Is it save enough?

Thanks everyone... I certainly feel more confident with my Ranger now!

Guess I got too worried.... :)

Depending on the diving you do you might have gone one 'size' too large. The Escape is much like the Ranger in it's layout, but better for travel. If you dive cold water, deep, want to use small doubles, that sort of thing, the Ranger's right.

Nice thing about the Ranger and most Zeagle BCs is that they are modular.
You can get a harness (w/out D rings) or wings (420 instead of 1050 Denier, 35# instead of 44#) off the Escape, both of which are less bulky and lighter. Wings are expensive, though. But the parts are interchangeable.

As for the weights, I use Zeagle's weightpockets, the smaller ones with 7# each. During transportation I clip them to each other with a carbiener and carry the separately & comfortably. The pockets have one internal divider to keep the weights from moving. I use softweights in them. Never lost any weights, unlike with velcro-closed pockets on rental bcs.

Balancing has never been a problem with the Ranger, and was one of the major selling points. I stuff my weights into the forward compartment to counteract the negative buoyancy of my Scubapro 72 steel tank. Even with a close to empty tank I stay vertical at the surface, and can lean backwards onto the tank without problem. With an Alu tank I fiddle with tankmounted weights to counteract the additional lift. Haven't had a problem with it yet.

Also, you can contact Zeagle with any questions, they're usually pretty good about customer service.

Back
Top Bottom