Zeagle Escape versus Aqualung Patriot

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mdteague

Registered
Reaction score
I am planning on warm water, shallow dives in the caribbean. Need to be able to pack it in tight. Don't need much lift. I'm not married to either of these two but this is the style that might suit me the most.

mdteague:
I am planning on warm water, shallow dives in the caribbean. Need to be able to pack it in tight. Don't need much lift. I'm not married to either of these two but this is the style that might suit me the most.
I rented and Escape and took it to Jamaica. Loved it for diving and carrying around in my backpack at the airports. But, when it came to taking the weights out of the pockets and handing them up to the boat before handing up the BC, that was another thing entirely. Basically, it was a fight. Zeagle's rip cord system is great for an emergency dump if you ever have to use it because it dumps both pockets at one time.

I have no experience with the other BC. However, since using the Zeagle with it's back inflate, I am not a BP/W convert. Those can be packed pretty easily too. Just some food for thought.

Brian

I like my Escape. I turn it inside out, folded down tight and it takes up little room in my carry on. Pockets are nice sized, I keep my back up light, scissors and slate in one.
If I had to pass weights up before the BC, I would just wear a weight belt. I don't have that many dives, but, the crew has always taken my BC with the weights left in.

The 6-8 lb I have in the weight pockets doesn’t add allot for the gear handlers pulling my gear into the boat. I don’t pull the weights out when in the tropics, using a weight belt defeats the purpose of weight integration. When using 36 lb in the cold Northeast Pacific I climb the ladder with all my gear on.

I've been using the Escape for a couple years now and absolutely love it. I think its exactly what your looking for: packs really small, plenty of lift for warm water (and the bladder can be swapped out for more lift if needed) and its reasonably priced.

mdteague:

The Patriot is not a compact BC or suitable for diving with aluminum 80's so I would avoid it for what your planning on. The Patriot can be rigged and probably should be used for doubles or a steel tank due to having a 50lb lift, over kill and difficult to dump air at times as Aquabella stated.

P.S... 1 large Patriot for sale

I also have the escape, and absolutely love it. However, I soon plan on going to a bp/wing getup. You are right about the weight pockets and the 'fight' to get the weights in and out. I've never had a problem though as I only hand up my fins...and walk the rest of the gear up myself. But I guess different boats have different rules.

Great BC !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom