Zeagle DS V

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Texas_Aggie06

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I figured I might get a little more help over here. Can anybody tell me about the Zeagle DS V? I saw it on ScubaToys first and went over to the Zeagle website. I can't believe how well it is priced for what you get. It's one of those it looks to good to be true type things. Maybe Scott can help me out. Pros/Cons. What does the Flathead VI give you that the DS V doesn't?

Also, I think I want a yolk right now, but I would like to know if it can be converted to DIN in the future.

Thanks

Tex,

Yes, you can later switch a yoke Zeagle regulator over to DIN, but if you are planning to do that, I would buy the DIN in the first place. It will come with a DIN to yoke adapter that can be installed in seconds, without tools. Not so if you buy the yoke first, and it will cost more this way.
DIN regs and steel tanks rock!

A Flathead first stage is larger and designed for maximum flow to the second stage, something we can't do as well with the standard sized first stage of a DSV. If you need or want the very best would be the question. It's your choice.

If cold water is not an issue you might consider the Flathead XP. It's less $ than the FH VI and actually nudges it out by a tiny amount in top performance too.

Chad
FL Zeagle Rep.

Have both flathead and ds-v - have used them together on independent doubles and compared down to over 50 m on air - can't tell the difference in performance ds-v first stage is not as heavy for traveling.

Both great regs and I am gradually switching my first stages from Apeks as Zeagles have replaceable first stage seat (only Apeks 200 has that) which I prefer for servicing.

Have both flathead and ds-v - have used them together on independent doubles and compared down to over 50 m on air - can't tell the difference in performance ds-v first stage is not as heavy for traveling.

Both great regs and I am gradually switching my first stages from Apeks as Zeagles have replaceable first stage seat (only Apeks 200 has that) which I prefer for servicing.

thanks, i appreciate the input. i've just about made my decision. now, i just have to see if scubatoys can put together a nice package for me.:eyebrow:

I was shopping for a new reg last summer, and I called Jim Fox at Zeagle and spoke to him about them. Jim is the engineer that designed them all. He told me that "there is a breathing performance difference between the Flathead VI and the DSV, but that you won't notice it until you're on the Doria". So I bought the DSV. I have had it down to 133 feet in very cold Lake Erie water, as well as under the ice back in February, and it got passed over to my cousin when the Cressi he was using had a massive free flow in 120 feet of 45 degree water. It has never given me so much as a hiccup. I have another one on order so I can get the Oceanic reg off the left post of my double tanks and have matching DSV's on them. My rec instructor and I are doing our tech certs together in the spring and he is ordering 2 of them for his doubles after diving mine once. I even named my dog Zeagle, so needless to say I have been very pleased with their products.

Hope this helps the decision,
Jim

this regulator seems to be a hidden gem. my whole thought process is that i want a reg that is going to do just about anything i need up to recreational depths. i figure once i hit tech depths and that kind of thing i will own multiple regs at that point. thanks for everyone's help.

You will definetly own multiple regs, but DSV's will ABSOLUTELY still be useful as tech regs, either as backgas or stage bottles. I know a guy that used one as his primary to 260 feet in the north Atlantic, and a Poseidon as his backup.

Back
Top Bottom