Zeagle BC Qs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

willo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just got a Zeagle Concept II from my friend the internet.
(There are no local shops to me that sell them)
I'm very happy with the quality of the thing.

1) Mine came with a Sea quest power inflator. Is that typical?
Rather large blocky construction. I haven't evalulated/reviewed much on sea quest to be certain of them.

2) Should I buy the zeagle zippered weight bags that are made just for the integrated weight system, or just toss in the weight?

3) Opinions on the integrated weight system?

Hi, Willo,
I've had a Concept II since Aug. '01-bought it new.
Regarding your questions:
1) The Zeagle power inflator-recognizeable by the "Z" on the inflate button- is quite compact. Unless Zeagle went into some partnership w/Seaquestsince '01, I'm guessing that the inflator on yours was a replacement part, for whatever the reason.

2)Regarding the zippered weight bags- I presume you have the Concept II "Pro" with the "ripcord" weight ditching mechanism.
( I believe the other model"Sport" (?) has velcro pouches.)
If you have the "Pro" I'd strongly suggest the weight bags,for two reasons:
first, with the "ripcord" system, there is a chance that loose weights could slip out between the the opening that the cord holds together. Even when in the "non ditch" position, there are openings that a small, free moving weight block could slip through. [ Look inside the pouches on the BC-you'll see what I mean] Of course that may depend on the size /amount of weight you are planning to put in the pouches.

Second, {if you are boat diving and the crew wants you to remove your BC, and hand it up before climbing back onto the boat}, some crews may want the weights out, before they haul in your BC. If so, the handle on the weight bag makes it easier to grab and hand off.

I like the integrated system. Be advised, that it and the rear inflation may take a bit of getting used to, regarding trim, etc.
BTW, if you are in a situation where you need to remove the BC at the surface-be sure you have it inflated sufficiently to keep the weights from sinking your rig. (Saw that happen once- not something I'd like to have happen to me!!!:)

All in all, I like the Concept II
Enjoy yours.
Take care,
Mike

I agree with Mike on the weight bags. I have a Ranger and use the weight bags for all the reasons Mike has given. There are 2 sizes, a "large" and a "small". I don't remember what the cap of each is but, I use the small and have plenty of room for all the weight I need. I have used as much as 18 lbs (total)of soft weights and had room to spare. I also added trim weight pouches to the back of the BC. They allow me to move some of my weight to the back of the BC for trim purposes. You may find adding these useful as well.
Some will tell you that the weight system (I am assuming the Rip Cord) is trouble prown but mine has not given me any trouble. I have requested more info on the trouble on several occasions and as yet I have not gotten a reply. Operator error??

As to the power inflator, I don't have a clue except maybe someone had an Air 2 or similar item on it, wanted to keep it and did not have the original to replace it with. If it works, I would not let it bother me. You can always get a replacement if you want.

That helps.
I'll most likely use the shot style weights, since they're easier to get around here.
Mine is the Concept II with the ripcord weight system.
The design is simple and makes sense to me.

And the next question....
What do you use on yours? Air2 or power inflator?

I agree with getting the weight bags. However, in the event that you cannot get your hands on a pair immediately (I had to wait quite a while until my LDS had them in stock) or if you are hesitant on paying a relatively large amount for a pair of mesh bags (I think mine were around $20+ each) - I would recommend using cheap plastic ziplock bags until you get the mesh bags.

I used the ziplock bags for a couple months and they worked fine. They did have a tendency to collect a little bit of water in them, though (even with the bag zipped shut).

I would highly recomend getting Zeagle's Octo+ if you're thinking about ditching your standard octo. It breathes great and the buttons are intuitive. I had a SeaQuest that I used on maybe 6 dives, but the buttons were a pain.

I'd also recommend getting it with the pull-dump feature. I have a Scout, not a Concept, but I imagine there's a dump valve where the inflator hose connects to the bladder.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom