Zeagle 50D

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cmm1970

Registered
Reaction score
I have used a Zeagle 50D reg set for 7 years and have had occaision to have to replace it. Do any of you know if this reg. is still the work horse that I purchased 7 years ago? I haven't kept up and was wondering if Zeagle had "slipped" in quality or had had vendor issues...you know, I need to know if there is any new dirt. I have my eye on a Scuba pro MK25/S600 set, but if the Zeagle is still great, I probably won't switch horses so to speak.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Mike

You can still get parts for the reg and yes it is still the workhorse that it has always been. The Zeagle reg you maybe referring to is a Apeks. Zeagle sold these in North Amwerica for 20 years, up to about 2-4 years ago. Apeks now is sold under Aqualung and parts can also be obtained by ther dealers as well as Zeagle dealers (Apeks versions). Zeagle has their own regs now that are very similar to the Apeks and perform very well.

Scott,

The Tech-50D made by Apeks for Zeagle, was in my memory, available for about 6 years before the new Zeagle made regulators. That would make it about 11 years all total. Couldn't be anywhere near 20 years ago.

Got any old catalogs to verify my thinking?
I probably recorded the first dive in my log, but I'm not interested in looking for that.

Chad

I also have the 50D reg. I bought it in May 2000. How can I tell who made it? Is the serial number an indication of the manufacturer? It really does not matter as It works just fine, except for once. I will be using it again in April for a trip to Akumal and to dive the ceynotes. Thanks.

We sold Apeks from 1992 until 2000. We did sell some of our final remaining apeks regs in 2000, but for the most part they were Zeagle made regs. One easy way to tell is to look at the 2nd Stage face. If it is hard plastic with a small purge button, it is an apeks. If it is completely "soft" rubber that has "zeagle" imprinted, it was made by us in Zephyrhills.

Scott

Thanks for the report Scott, I was close on the date of the Apeks Zeagle regs debut.

The first pic below is the early Apeks made Zeagle Tech-50D, a friend just brought this one to me. It had a tough life but still works fine!

Second and third are the new Zeagle made 50D 1st stage and the ZX second stage, from 2000 until last year.

Third the latest Zeagle Flathead XP with the Z-logo .

Chad

I love that "Circle Z" face cover. It just looks sweet to me.
I figure that other people won't like it as much, and Walter will probably say it is a flawed design, but what the heck...

:D

Thanks for the pictures. It looks like what I had was the Apeks version and now the Zeagle. Thanks for the input.

Mike

ScottZeagle:
I love that "Circle Z" face cover. It just looks sweet to me.
:D

It's also easier to identify in photos, which is nice when featured in print or video.

More importantly the new Z front cover design and retainer ring with a bevel reduce substantially the purge pressure in currents or descents. Water can't press directly against the diaphragm, as it could through the holes on the Apeks and previous Zeagle models. It turns 90 degrees at the bevel first and then flows across the diaphragm.

I just put that to the test yesterday to 160 ft, blasting down after an overly zealous young spearfisherman. I still tighted the resistance knob a half turn because we were smoking on the descent, but the new Flathead XP regulator performed fantastically!

Chad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom