Z 6iii

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

digdug87

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'm thinking about purchasing a Z6iii to use as an underwater camera. Of course I'll need a housing, arms & lights.

I'm currently thinking about a Ikelite housing, I don't know much about strobes.

Any suggestions or advice, for a first time dslr/mirrorless underwater photographer?

Hi, I'm sure you'll get countless suggestions, so this is just my own opinion of course. I've been shooting underwater since the 1980s and with digital cameras since 2005. I've owned two Ikelite housings and two Aquatica housings. Only one housing flooded and it was from me using it as a sound blimp on film sets out of water, so not for its intended purpose. (Ikelite) It flooded while I was diving U-853 off Block Island.
Having said all that, the next housing I'll get I believe will be a Nauticam since it's here in Florida as opposed to Canada and friends of mine use it with no issues. I've used my Aquatica housing for my D800 for years underwater at depths below 200 feet. Only issues I've had was the photo to video switch with that housing.
I have a Nikon Z7 and will get a Z7II or III if they come out with one.

Gene
www.pagephotography.smugmug.com
@genepagephotography

I am using the Sea and Sea D3 duo. I shoot a Z8 with a nauticam housing. I really like the strobes. I shoot them with fiber optics. They work well with macro up to wide angle. If you are dedicated wide angle, you might want more power for superwide with a bit of distance. I would recommend the Nauticam housing. It is not cheap but it is reliable and the ergonomics are superb.

The Z6III apparently has the enhanced focus. I find the focus of the Z8 really nice and it focuses well in low light.

The Z6III has 20 mp vs the 44 of the Z8. But that is really not a big issue unless you are cropping a fair bit. If you use most of the sensor, you should be just fine. My first 2 underwater cameras both had less than 20 mp and they did just fine. I then went to the Z800 and now to the Z8. Mega pixels tend to be over rated. Dynamic range is more important.

For camera, I am waiting for the Z7 iii

For strobes, I'd check the new hybrid strobes from Backscatter.

For housing, I wouldn't consider anything other than Nauticam at all.

A dive buddy just got 1 of the Backscatter hybrid strobe/video lights. We're getting ready to head to Fiji, so I'll see how he likes while we're there. It is definitely in my short list.

A dive buddy just got 1 of the Backscatter hybrid strobe/video lights. We're getting ready to head to Fiji, so I'll see how he likes while we're there. It is definitely in my short list.

Can't wait for your report. I am seriously looking at them but waiting for regular users' real life reports.

Have a great trip and safe travels!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom