Unknown Yukon - Coast Guard Diver Response

This Thread Prefix is for incidents when the cause is not known.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Johnoly

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Dockside video interview with CG from June 30, 2024

Thanks for the post. 10 minute dive to 90' you're not going to have a lot of gas onload. It certainly is within the limits for a non-deco dive

10 minute dive to 90' you're not going to have a lot of gas onload. It certainly is within the limits for a non-deco dive
I think the key point here, stated in the interview, was "rapid ascent." There's no mention of whether the diver was exhibiting symptoms or not - and from what you can see when he's being put on the stretcher, he seems alert and is helping - so the trip to the chamber could simply have been preventative due to the rapid ascent. Better safe than sorry.

I think the key point here, stated in the interview, was "rapid ascent."...
The differential being decompression sickness and arterial gas embolism, initial treatment being identical. Of course, the reason for the rapid ascent is not stated and could reflect other medical problems.

Glad to see that it looks like the guy may be OK....

This thread is a great reminder as to why all dive boats (private and charter) should ALWAYS have emergency 100% O2 onboard. I carry a ridiculously marked AL80 of 100% on my boat along with a demand reg AND a RescuEAN. If on another boat, I always ask!

n26gQgF.jpg

5lXefKR.jpg

OY4btqe.jpg

9oiAYH9.jpg

The differential being decompression sickness and arterial gas embolism, initial treatment being identical.
Pure speculation on my part but if you watch the video where the diver is being prepped for the journey to the chamber, he's wearing what appears to be an O2 mask, he's moving on his own, he seems alert, he's helping when they take his shirt off, and no one seems to be moving with any sort of urgency. Had this been an embolsim - which generally manifests within 10 minutes of surfacing - it's doubtful he'd have been moving thew way we can see and there woul dbe (IMHO) a much greater sense of urgency and speed on the part of EMS. Again, pure speculation but based on what we can observe in the video.

I also noticed near the end of the video showing the dive boat returning that a couple of rigs appear to have back mounted, inverted pony's that look to be 19cf's. Pure speculation, but If the guy somehow confused 2nd's and sucked his pony dry to start the dive, that may have resulted in a CESA or ESA... The 10 minute timing would be about right for that scenario. It can happen!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom