ys-90auto focus assist/aiming light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ukmidlands

Reaction score
Because the Sea&Sea YS-90auto strobe does not feature a focus assist or aiming light, i have been tinkering with the idea of using an ikelite pca torch to do the job. The photo below is the result of this. It is very secure and aims very close to where the strobe is pointing. I understand this will ease the aiming of the strobe, but will it also enable the camera (Olympus C-750uz) to focus easier in low-light situations? Any comments and input will be very helpful, as i have seen focus assist lights which attach to the camera, but these seem quite low-powered and quite close to the lens.

I think we've all used different variations of this idea. One thing to be careful of is to be aware of how much the small light weighs. This added weight at the end of your strobe arm may effect the arms ability to hold it all in place.

To see one that I've used the most, click here---->Aquavit Limb Lite holder. I bought mine in a dive shop several years ago.

Dee, thanks for the reply, but i was more interested in exactly how much this light will help the camera to focus. The C750 seems to take an age to autofocus in the dim dark UK waters!

I dont know about the Oly 750, but I found that the Ike Pc light was a great focus assist light for my Canon S40. I mounted mine to a homemade strobe and camera bracket, and adjusted the PC light so that it I could see it at the center of the LCD monitor. The ikelite is bright enough to work as a focus assist light for any camera, as long as it is aimed propery.
My only problem with this setting was that the PC light was too narrow angle. I often couldnt make out what I was photographing on the monitor as I saw only a white spot on a dark background.
My setup is here:
http://www.pbase.com/image/25085767

Also you will see the light in your photos, especially at macro settings. A prior attempt at using a penlight produced the reddish spot you see in the lower left corner of this photo.
http://www.pbase.com/image/4668721

It will do OK but you'll need to get rid of the hot spot. To do that, take the head of it apart. Line the reflector cup with some wrinkled aluminum foil. I just take a small piece, wad it up then smooth it out a bit. This dissipates the reflection, getting rid of the hot spot and softening the light.

Another that I have used is a Princeton Tec Attitude LCD light. It's small, holding 4 AA batteries and the light is from 3 bulbs, white and soft.

ok, so i also use a pc or pca light (depends on conditions) for my focus light. my setup is a little different.

i'll try to post a pic soon.

sony F717 in a 10bar housing, tray with 2 DX style (flexible link) arms.
one arm carries a YS 90 Auto. the other has a DIY bracket for either my pc or pca light. (bracket is an anodized rain gutter strap bent to form the pc/pca mold, held in place with industrial strenth outdoor velcro and attached to the second arm with an eybolt/wing nut and some rubber washers.

the advantage to this addresses both problems...

1) it weighs less than the strobe, so the second arm has no trouble suporting the weight.

2) i can adjust it separately to mimic the light path of the strobe for positioning and focus assist.

this system has worked well for me.

lorien

I have seen a bracket (made by either Sea & Sea or UK) that is designed to attach a UK mini Q40 light to the strobe, but I haven't found them for sale anywhere.

I recently came across a UK mini focus light and holder on Yuzo's site that looks interesting. It would help with focus, but wouldn't do anything for strobe aiming. Does anyone have any insights/experience with this particular setup?

I attached a pic for reference...

ukmidlands:
Because the Sea&Sea YS-90auto strobe does not feature a focus assist or aiming light, i have been tinkering with the idea of using an ikelite pca torch to do the job. The photo below is the result of this. It is very secure and aims very close to where the strobe is pointing. I understand this will ease the aiming of the strobe, but will it also enable the camera (Olympus C-750uz) to focus easier in low-light situations? Any comments and input will be very helpful, as i have seen focus assist lights which attach to the camera, but these seem quite low-powered and quite close to the lens.
I have encountered the same problem with my nikon. What I found that works is to auto focus on something about the same distance. On my nikon i can maintain that focus distance by holding the focus/ shutter realase and turning to the subject. The problem I have encountered with lights mounted on the strobe is that aiming the light where you need it isn't always easy or practical.

Back
Top Bottom