YS-01 Solis Strobe Dead

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a friend shooting the same Fantasea housed Canon G7X II I have. He recently got a pair of Sea and Sea YS-03 after going on a Backscatter Digital Shootout.

So far on one trip they've been good. But long term who knows......

Still an Inon fan here :)

David Haas

IMG_1415.jpegIMG_1865.jpgIMG_1994.jpgIMG_2142.jpgIMG_2095.jpg

Status update:

I sent the strobes to Tusa. Prior to doing so, they said to expect a 3–5 day timeframe for evaluation upon receipt. 7 business days later, I hadn't heard anything, so I called and got a VM. I emailed the tech and never got a response. I called on day 8 and they answered.

The typical conversation goes something like this: If your strobes have ever flooded, then a repair won't be covered under warranty. I then confidently express that they have never been flooded. They respond in kind that they will inspect it for flood damage very closely, specifically under the leads on the cap. I then insist again that they've never been flooded.

Then it's confusion over what's wrong with them, which camera I use, which batteries I use, etc. etc. etc. Finally satisfied with my responses, they promised on day 8 to look at them that day.

A few hours later, I received a call from the tech. He said I was right, there wasn't any flooding, and the strobes are behaving exactly how I described. He then said his manager approved sending out replacement refurbished strobes.

I asked what was wrong with them and got some vague answers where the focus turned back to what kind of batteries I use (Eneloop and Eneloop Pros). Even though he uses the SAME batteries, he asked me for the mah values on the batteries. He said good, never use batteries over 2500 mah (which is what the pros are exactly).

Of note, the original strobe to fail, failed using the standard Eneloop batteries. I bought the pros after reading about aging batteries being a problem (my originals were only 1.5 years old). The second strobe died using the pros.

It's now been several days since being told they will ship refurbished strobes to me. I haven't received any sort of communication or tracking number. So now I'm going to have to call again to get an update.

In the end, if this is the level of service Sea & Sea offers to US customers, through a 3rd party Tusa, I've lost confidence in their ability to support their products efficiently. We live in a world where technology can automate the simplest things, like the communication of receipt of returned products, status updates to a repair, and even tracking numbers. I feel like it's 1990 and I have to make phone calls which takes time away from the tech.

To finish this story, I did receive my replacement strobes and they work great.

Back
Top Bottom