YouTube stabilizing -- is it worth it? Sample Videos

Which is better, with YouTube stabilization or without?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know! I saw that and I was thinking that my videos are not worthy of even being in the same thread as this.

Guys at our skill level cannot compare to Howard Hall. Besides I just run my GoPro for fun anyway. I would however, like to know where that video was shot. One of my bucket list dives is a cool kelp forest.

A GoPro weighs only ounces. the camera making the Howard Hall video probably weighed 30-60 lbs. Inertia is his friend.

I teach and have played my videos on my projection board. As an approximately 4' x 8' image the camera shake was a lot worse than it was looking at it on my laptop.

what I would like to find is a software package that I could take the video from camera to finished video with de-shaking included. I played around with V-dub, which is supposed to work well on gopro files, but you need to file convert in the gopro editor, then send it through v-dub and then edit it in a software other than the gopro editor. After spending several hours making the stabilized files, I ended up chucking it when I was unable to get the files into a format I could use with the editor I was already familiar with.

I would consider buying something(~$50-60) if I could just do the entire thing in a single software package from camera to up upload ready. Anyone know of a package like that?

A GoPro weighs only ounces. the camera making the Howard Hall video probably weighed 30-60 lbs. Inertia is his friend.

I teach and have played my videos on my projection board. As an approximately 4' x 8' image the camera shake was a lot worse than it was looking at it on my laptop.

what I would like to find is a software package that I could take the video from camera to finished video with de-shaking included. I played around with V-dub, which is supposed to work well on gopro files, but you need to file convert in the gopro editor, then send it through v-dub and then edit it in a software other than the gopro editor. After spending several hours making the stabilized files, I ended up chucking it when I was unable to get the files into a format I could use with the editor I was already familiar with.

I would consider buying something(~$50-60) if I could just do the entire thing in a single software package from camera to up upload ready. Anyone know of a package like that?

I use Sony Vegas 11 for my editing. After reading your post I went in to see if it has a stabilizing feature which it does. I have never used it because I did not know it was there until now so I can't say if it works or not but I can give it a try and let you know how it goes. I paid about $50 for the Program a couple of years ago at Best Buy. There have been new Vega programs released since then and you can always get add ons for SV online also.

First I would say I don't think you can make a blanket decision that applies every single time. Sometimes you want IS, sometimes you don't

Second, the IS that youtube provides is not very good. Even the IS you get from the free Windows Movie Maker is far better.

Third...if you are using something other than youtube for IS you can stabilize only portions of your video. Clean up the worst of things, and keep the wider angle views where they are desirable.

My two cents... Skip the youtube stabilization. Its better if the editor has it built in (like Sony Movie Studio) but even then its not great.
Better to spend time figuring out how to get very stable shots with the camera.

Regarding surge, I just noted on timestamp 3:07 that neutral buoyancy turtle (yes, the one that disapproves of your flailing) was caught crawling on the ocean floor as the surge was tossing it around the bottom. What a hypocrite. :no:

6a83ff8c79b8dbb839f7308831fa80532799b211acda767a23dbde3ad8560c26.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom