You're wasting your money on lights.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Especially true considering the cost of the GoPro and how much a $3 internal filter improves color.

Entry level for flip on filter with gopro is $29.99 and tops $87...
Large sheet of full CTO costs 5$ and you have enough for a life time however it is nice to have something you can remove

I don't think that sales rep was BSing you. I have a GoPro Hero2 as a back-up for close shots i.e. moray eels, small tobys and filming in cracks, but once it comes to true color shooting even a magic filter from Backscatter is useless 10 feet or deeper below surface, also any LED lights under tropical sun are competing with the ambient light and can't keep up with it. So, good use for a light during overcast days, under ledges, deep clear water below 70' or a bit shallower in not so clear water. Enhancement in post video editing is crucial, because the color information needs to be there. In other words if your video is all green or blue that's very much all what you gonna get, no matter how much hue or saturation you ad or reduce. Rule of thumb; 0 - 10 feet of depth - use a magic red filter (great color enhancement) 10 - 50 feet (depends on the sea bottom) all get's kinda greenish, 50 - more feet you're in blue water world and yellow, orange and red are gone, except you use your sola 500 for REALLY close shots, we talk 1-2 feet or closer. I use HD-cameras with 2 x 5000 lumen HID lights and still deal with ambient lights and so. Keep trying.

Scubabeat, I am a little confused. What are you recommending for depths 10-50 ft ?

Good editing software, like Adobe Aftereffects is going to run you like $1000. I'm sure there are other good ones cheaper too but still you can look at big money on software alone. A great filter really does help and they work best with lights. I have one SOLA 2000 and its phenomenal. 1 works good for now, I might get a second later.

GP setup.jpg I'm going to be experimenting with 2 Itorch video pro 4 lights at 1300 lumen each in Belieze in 2 weeks...we'll see how that goes.........

I'm going to be experimenting with 2 Itorch video pro 4 lights at 1300 lumen each in Belieze in 2 weeks...we'll see how that goes.........

I'm curious to see how this would work - the grip is aligned with the rotation axis in this top-heavy rig. Doesn't feel like it will be tipping forward/backwards unless you are really clenching it?

I ended up just using the red filter and I was very happy with the results. I could see getting lights for night diving or really murky water, but for the tropical water I really like my setup without the lights.

GoPro Hero2, SRP BlurFix, CY URPro Filter, SRP Camera Tray, Intova Tovatec 500L, MagicShine 1000L as pointer ~ 135 FSW

[video=vimeo;59352989]http://vimeo.com/59352989[/video]

Back
Top Bottom