You're diving Nitrox: Do you choose best mix or standard mix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Genesis once bubbled...
Because I want a slightly lower PO2 at 110' than the 32% gives me since we are usually spearfishing and that can get kinda hairy.

I rarely run into NDL trouble on these dives anyway, and the extra couple of minutes is not worth it on a trade-off perceptive with the O2 tox risk.
All things being equal, I would rather be at 1.3 than 1.4 and I ain't watching NDLs that closely anyway so the difference is marginal...o2 scares me more than n2..

This has been interesting so far.

Basically, the same kinds of opinions I see when talking to people are what I've seen on the board thus far. There seems to be a 50/50 split between practices.

Interesting...hope more people chime in on this one.

Used to dive best mix....

now I dive 32%

though I might still use 36% if I'm certain about the site and the BT window is big enough.

Depends on the dive.
If it is a planned expo type of deal all my gas is planned out, sets of doubles are filled in advance, as are deco and stage bottles.
If im going to dutch or an inshore wreck, ill use whatever i have in my tanks. Usually 29-34% and plan my dive according to the mix I have (usually leftovers, or half full tanks.) After all feeding the fish at dutch in 15 ffw doesent require a tech approach......
Id rather use whats available then spend more money on dumping my tanks and refilling or just adding o2.
-gjm

Probably not what most do. Most of my diving is in the gulf, ranging from 40'-100', will usually take 1 (HP120) at 32%, and one LP108 at 38-39% for a shallow dive, most of the time I can get an air fill (21%) to top off the LP tank later and have a tank of 30%-32%, for a deeper dive in the future. Most of the diving is multi-dive same day, so I'm more worried about N2 than O2, since the next day won't be diving.

In the class this weekend I took with Ziggys_Friend I argued hard with MHK about choosing best mix. MHK laid some really solid groundwork and arguments for standardizing the mix.

He proved to all of us that we personally could calculate our current NDL almost instantly in our head every 5 minutes throughout a changing depth (multi-level) dive with no complex formulas and no computer assistance, no tables to memorize. He also showed us quickly how to refill a standard mix in a tank with any amount of left over gas. I have to agree now that I've seen it work for myself and proven the simplicity when it comes to mid-dive contingency or emergency planning.

We are after all creatures of habit and as Ziggys_Friend says it's "not worth the hassle and possible confusion factor". I'd give you the quick neumonics we were given but then I'd be giving away some of the best stuff about the DIR-F class. I recommend everyone take it to help them "set the bar" as MHK puts it.

He proved to all of us that we personally could calculate our current NDL almost instantly in our head every 5 minutes throughout a changing depth (multi-level) dive with no complex formulas and no computer assistance, no tables to memorize.
I don't suppose you would share this, would you? This wasn't in my DIRF..

O-ring once bubbled...

I don't suppose you would share this, would you? This wasn't in my DIRF..

Which instructor(s) did your Fundamentals class, Eric? It sounds like you got the shaft on the profiling part. I haven't taken DIR-F yet, but it sounds like this was covered in most of their classes. And you can bet I'll be grilling them on deco theory when I do mine later this year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom