Your thoughts on the Luxfer SUPER AL80

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlueDolphin

Reaction score
Looking at the specs on the Luxfer SUPER AL80 they seem like they would make an excellent tank to use for doubles.

Anyone dive these?

Specs:
Super 80 AL808 3,000 psi 80.0 c.f. (full)-5.3 lbs (@half full)-1.6 lbs (@500psi)+0.4 lbs (empty weight)35.0 lbs (diam)8.0 in (height )22.9 in

They do not change in bouancy (only a 5lb. diff during a dive) as much as a steel E7100 tank, are neutral at 500psi. 3" shorter than a standard 80. It holds more than 2.5 cu.ft. more than a standard 80 when filled to 3,000 psi also.

Seems like they would make a very nice doubles setup. The price of $349.00 delivered for a pair, is very tempting also, especially with the E7100's being so elusive, and so damn expensive.

Your thoughts?

I like diving with double 80's. The super 80's let you take some of the weight off your belt compared to a regular 80 just like most steel tanks, although you then lose some of the dirigible effect that regular 80's provide on stability.

At $175 each they are priced pretty close to the regular 80, so it comes down to a question of carrying the extra weight in the tank or as lead weight when you go diving.

The swing weight of the tanks is based soley on the weight of the air they contain, so all 80 cu ft tanks are going to have the same bouyancy change from full to empty regardless of what they are made of. The only difference is in their overall bouyancy. Similarly a 100 cu foot aluminum tank will have the same bouyancy change as a 100 cu ft steel tank.

E7-100's are great given that they hold 100 cu ft of air in the general size and weight as an AL 80. It's too bad they are not available at anything approaching sane money - if you can even find one.

Thanks DAAquatmaster....

I like the idea that you get some of the bouyancy characteristics similar to a steel tank (negative at the end of a dive), and the swing characteristics of an aluminum 80 tank (average 5lbs. swing instead of 7lbs., or so of a steel 100 granted you getting more air). There length is similar to an E7100, so that they are more comfortable to dive than perhaps say a steel 80 (not too darn short).

And the price is outstanding.

I guess I am trying to sell myself on these tanks instead of popping for the E7100's (if and when I can find them), and convince myself they are the next best option.:)

Buy some older LP 80's. Lighter than the super AL80's, same amount of gas and about the same length and the nice overfill if you can get it. Should be able to find them cheapish.

I'll second DA's comment on buoyancy change. Its entirely dependent on gas volume and has nothing to do with tank material. 1 cf of air weights the same no mater what you put it in.

Sounds like an Al80 with an extra 3 pounds of aluminum.

Jonnythan, I am sure they added weight to the "Neutral" 80 and the Super 80. The Super 80 actually weighs less than the Neutral 80 empty, and holds a true 80 c. f. instead of 77.4 c. f.. It's also 3 inches shorter than the Neutral 80.

Also note I am saying (I changed the above) that the swing of this tank is that of an 80 tank, but much better than a steel E7100. I am trying to convince myself this would be a good choice since I can not get the E7100.

According to Luxfer:

Compared to the regular Al80, the Super 80:
Is wider and shorter
Weighs 4 pounds more
Is about 2 pounds more negative
Holds 0.8 cf more at 3000 psi

The E7-100 weighs less than the Super 80 and holds 22 cf more gas :wink:

BlueDolphin:
Also note I am saying (I changed the above) that the swing of this tank is that of an 80 tank, but much better than a steel E7100. I am trying to convince myself this would be a good choice since I can not get the E7100.

Your not fooling anyone, even your self - and you know it. Get the E7's, or if your straped for cash get some used 72's or used LP80's. A pair of 72's is going to cost you like $100 bucks.

Bouyancy shift has nothing to do with what material the tank is made from. A tank with more capacity will have more shift. A tank with less capacity will have less shift, whether it's made of aluminum, steel or bubblegum.

I'm with JimC - don't justify a purchase you know is inferior. The E7-100s are out there in increasing quantity. They rock.

Back
Top Bottom