Your thoughts on Daveys?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Isaac-1

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I just wanted to know what you think is a fair price for an engine powered Davey compressor in good condition? I have seen the prices that they seem to list for on ebay and never sell, and also the junkers that sell cheap, I also know what I paid for mine, and am concerned it skews my idea of a fair price, so I am asking here.

thanks Ike

i've seen one listed on boston craigslist for 2500 sometimes during the summer. supposedly it was in good running condition. it was gone in a matter of 1-2 weeks, i called to have a look at it and was already sold.
i guess a fair price is what you can get for it locally, it's a big machine, heavy, high output, not really in the realm of hobby diver or paintballer, as such the market for it is small and most of the buyers that would be interested are looking for something more reliable than ebay, more like a dealer that could provide service, parts and maintenance. since we got to the parts part, they are either hard to get or "military priced", one of the other reasons why davey, kidde, stewart-warner and noah-hjowden are not popular with us divers.

Ike,
I have been selling American Bristol, Kidde and Noah Howden compressors for over 40 years --
well over 500 units.
I have also had 3 Daveys. I bought them for very low prices. They are labor intensive to work on but if you are a good mechanic and have the time to fiddle -- can be a good compressor. It took 3 to get 2 good working ones. One problem that I found (and after talking to other) was the oil pump is notoriously weak and some times is hard to prime. I sold both of the working ones for $2000 each and stripped the remaining ones completely for filters, SS tubing, fittings, guages, HP tanks, valves etc..
I wouldn't do this again as I had much more labor in the units than I got paid for. THAT SAID, If you buy one for low price and do nothing but strip it for parts, the filters, tubing, fittings, guages and valves are certainly worth the effort and filter cartridges are readily available for low prices to use them on a compressor system. You can purchase a older Bauer or Mako compressor block in reasonably good condition for less than 1000.00 rebuild it and fabricate a very good compressor system delivering easily grade E air.
There are also dive shops and paintball fields that are not doing well that are selling everything and with a little patience, you might be lucky to buy a complete unit for $2500 to $4000
Comments about Kidde and Noah Howden compressors. These surplus units are extremely reliable, and a few of us have hundreds of parts. I was fortunate enough to be able to purchase from Davey and Noah Howden directly for over 15 years when they were supplying these units to the US gov't. Noah Howden was purchase by Meggitt Airdynamics who builds these unit for the US and other countries and will not sell to individuals.
I purchased 105 Noah Howden govt Depot over haul kits (over 100 parts and military cost of over $1100 each) from Red River arsenal in the mid 80's and still have loads of parts.
You can read about my compressors on Scuba board, Compressor Team and Talon airgun sites and my ability to support them.
When and if we get out of Iraq and Afgan -- these compressor will again be available to the surplus market.
I still have 15 new compressors to be made into systems and parts to support those already sold for many years. I have sold 60 plus units in the last 20 months and have yet to have one returned for repair (which I do for a maximum cost of $250). I have unit in fire departments, scuba shops and individuals that have been pumping for 15 to 20 years.
Jim Shelden
<sheldensportinggoods.com>

Back
Top Bottom