Your thoughts on Camera Tables?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike Veitch

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hey folks,

I am currently designing and building six new dedicated camera tables here at MRBH, Yap. And i thought that as you are all photogs and have been around the world that you may like to give me some ideas of what you would like to see on a camera table. This is your chance to get in on the design! Just what you've always wanted...
At the moment i am adding a flexible light, air guns, a locking cabinet for the goodies, and a padded countertop with a lot of shelves, plus 220 and 110 volt power outlets.

What else would everyone like to see on a work station?
Also, on the other side we will have some computers with internet access and Photoshop, cardreaders and burners.

Let me know what you think. I would like to have the best designed camera tables in the entire Pacific!!

Mike

swing arm magnifing glass lamps.

Good lighting and a clean surface is all I'm after. One thing I've experienced is that I wouldn't use camera tables in a common area as I have to lug everything there - large secure storage might partially solve the problem. I'd much prefer a table in my room where I can access something easily and focus on camera preparation without distraction, especially if the rooms are air-conditioned. So perhaps a table with a clean mat and a good lamp in the room with ample power outlets is ideal.

One area often neglected and where most disastors happen are after-dive rinse tanks. I would much prefer that dive shops pay more attention to this area....

Hi Mike.

I was surprised to see this new project when I received my MRBH newsletter last week. Not too sure I'd want to leave all my camera equipment in a group atmosphere whether locked at night or not. What are the plans to keep the equipment safe / control access to the room?

Also, are there plans to have power outlets in the locked cabinets? Or is anything that's being recharged left out?

Other than that you may want to consider having various table heights or the tables being adjustable for people of varying heights.

Paula

My thoughts:

- Be sure there are either a zillion AC outlets, or that they accomodate the wall warts that often accompany charging and AC adapters

- Put a small lip on the table, so batteries, pens and other stuff doesn't roll off.

- Not too bright. I often view images at the table, and its easier when its not so bright.

- Pens. Have pens on the table in a pen cup or something... I have one in my bag, and often forget to bring it to the table!

Those are the biggies. And what those other guys (and gal) said.

---
Ken

After my laptop got zapped (not at your place, and technically I'm not 100% sure it was a power surge issue), I'd have to recommend you go with surge protectors or a power conditioner on the power outlets.

I'd want two outlets - one for rechargeable AA batteries, and one for a laptop.

If there's a locker, I'd want it to be fairly waterproof, so electronics could be stored in it. Otherwise, I'd wind up storing everything in my room, which would defeat the purpose of having the locker. Better yet, have the locker above the table so that water can't drip into it. And put outlets in it, or at least a small hole that would allow you to pull power cables out of the cabinet to other outlets.

Some screwdrivers (flathead and phillips) at the station would be nice, too, although I do wind up bringing my own.

Biggest thing - a little separation between each "station". At KBR, there were single long tables, it made it easy for peoples' stuff to start merging over with other divers stuff. The same has been true on all of the liveaboards I've been on.

You don't mention where these tables will be. In the rooms, in a common area, on a boat.

I would prefer more attention to a camera table in the room. That's where I need a clean, well lit area. Easy access to surge protected electrical outlets is a must, as is plenty of them. I need at least 4. It would be nice not to have to pack a power strip. I agree with all the ideas so far.

If it's in a common area, security is a must. I may leave my rig there for short periods of time but I would still take it to my room overnight.

Rinse tanks on a boat are widely insufficient. I'd like to see them with partitions to keep the camera rigs seperated to keep damage at a minimum. I seldom use rinse tanks for this reason, a wet towel suffices until I can rinse properly and safely.

Soft. Raised edges to stop small parts attempting to run away.

And Big.

And a zillion lumens of light.

Did I mention big?

All the best, James

the others have mentioned alot of what i would reccomend (especially the line conditioners for power)

as for the computer make sure if you do it have a waterproof key board as a normal one will be ruined by water, grease etc (look on new egg for the washable one). other things on the computer is the burners (both CD and DVD) make sure you have some real good burning software (nero ultra 6) as some soft ware isnt the best for transfer from cards (roxio is a good example of that).

one thing that wasnt mentioned would be a volt-meter(volts, amps, ohms) on the table with digital displays so i can check the level of my batteries and how much power is left in them.

FWIW

Tooth

Palau Aggressor had a nice table. Heavy duty, but not rough, carpet on two levels. Top level was waist height where all the cameras went. Bottom level was a 1 1/2 feet below it where the a/c outlets and individual storage bins went. Security wasn't really a problem b/c it was on the boat (unless you don't trust your fellow passengers). Air guns (2 there for 18 divers, but I would go with 1 for each 4-5 cameras) were hooked into a compressor separate from the airfill compressor. The air-line was really nice, corkscrew shaped so it hung 2 feet above the table when not in use, but anybody could pull on it to reach any part of the table, and it retracted on its own after use. That was a nice feature b/c some lines i've seen look like the tire pressure lines you see at gas stations, pain in the a** b/c they just sit there taking up space and bumping into other people's gear when in use. My other beef was that the table was too small -- all 18 passengers had cameras and it got tight right before dives with people scrambling to get all their gear assembled, no elbow room. So I echo the other suggestions above about BIG. And plenty of surge strips -- I had to use the outlet in my cabin b/c all the outlets were taken for other people's chargers. If the tables are going to sit on land rather than on a liveaboard, I would put it in an enclosed room with a dehumidifier (or a suitable a/c set on dry rather than cool) to reduce moisture in housings and to help gear dry off between dives. Moist air really isn't a problem for the huge housings, but my point and shoot housings in the past fogged up, especially the really small ones.

The Aggressor also supplied warm, dry towels, stocked in a Coleman cooler to retain the heat after removal from the dryer. These were nice to dry off yourself and your housing after each dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom