Your thoughts on basing from Placencia?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mathauck0814

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Vermont, California, Australia and the Upper Keys
I'll preface this with the fact that I haven't been to Belize in 11 years. I'm looking at a trip that I want to wrap up with 4-5 days of 3-4 tank/day diving. My wife and I are both, "technical divers" though we have no requirement to do this type of diving in Belize. I guess what I'm looking for is an operator that does 3-4 tank days out to the southern sites that isn't maniacal about timing or guiding the dives. Has anyone found a good option for diving with a small op that's given them the freedom to operate?

thanks, in advance, for your thoughts and experiences.

I'm not familiar with what each operator offers down here. But from Placencia you'll be riding a boat for at least an hour and a half to two hours each day back and forth from the barrier reef. Other than that, it's great there.
If you just want to dive 3-4 times a day and relax, look into Marisol Resort.

Belize Vacation Resorts | Belize Honeymoon | Belize All Inclusive Vacation | Isla Marisol Resort | Family Vacations | Belize Tours

They're on Glovers Reef and are 5 minutes from most of their nice dive sites. Eat, sleep and dive. Turneffe has some nice resorts too.

If you do want some technical diving the only place you'll find it these days is Belize Diving Services on Caye Caulker.

There are two main dive centers out of Placencia, I know this because we just came back from vacationing there last month. We dove with Avadon the first two days, they were both three-tank dives with an 1 1/2-1 3/4 hour boat ride each way. Luckily their boat had a head. :wink: We dove with Splash the last day, and it was a two-tank dive with an hour boat ride each way. Their boat did not have a head, but they took us to an island that had bathrooms, which was very cool.
I would recommend either dive center, both were professional and very friendly. Check out their websites, they are both good.

As I re-read your post, I want to add that all the dives were guided. I would send out some emails to see if they can accomodate what you specifically want.

Last edited:
There are two main dive centers out of Placencia

You're forgetting the original main center there which still exists and flourishes, Seahorse.

The diving conditions here are very different from those you'll find on the Upper Keys (which I know well), and indeed different from those encountered in many areas of the Red Sea. Although it isn't always the case, I'd say it is generally desirable here for a guide to accompany divers. For example, I have never seen really deep water at the Keys, whereas everywhere you dive in Belize (assuming you're not inside the Barrier Reef) there is extremely deep water nearby. From any of the mooring buoys off Ambergris Caye there is water several thousand feet deep within a short swim. You may be a competent diver but I can assure you that we get many who are not competent, and these people need to be monitored and on occasion controlled.

You'll find that at the better dive centres, once you have proven your navigational and seamanship abilities over several dives, you will be allowed a lot of slack. We don't like "follow my leader" dives any more than you do. If that hasn't happened, either you haven't chosen the right operator or your diving hasn't been seen to be up to the level you suggest. We don't like losing divers - it doesn't look good on our records.

May I ask how you would conduct yourself if you were diving without a guide (who may or may not be a DM) in the two cases of a static moored boat and a boat that follows the divers? How would you ensure you found the boat, and the boat found you? How would you ascend safely in variable sea conditions? Are you accustomed to using a DSMB? And are your navigational skills good enough that you can guarantee that you always know where you are in unfamiliar surroundings, and that you can always find a moored boat? Actually, how many dives do you have, and what level of certification have you reached?

Would you prefer if I had said that I prefer a California or New Jersey Charter dive operation rather than choosing the Keys? Deep and cold is what we do here.

My larger issue with the guided dive concept is the type of diver it attracts. Because you'll take care of them, it ends up being a boat full of incompetent types. You don't see that in dive operations that don't have a chase boat and require basic competence in their divers - fear is a good control device.

To answer the rest of your questions, I'd suggest re-reading the thread and/or profiles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom