Your number one tip to increase your time underwater.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do not recommend this at all, but due to some recent personal problems I started smoking again after 5 yrs...stupid I know and I plan to quit soon. The weird side effect I noticed is my air consumption decreased dramatically... weird but true, and again I don't suggest this as the cons outweigh the pros. Just found it interesting. Perhaps someone here could suggest a medical reason for this?

I climbed Kilimanjaro a couple of years ago. I was also told that smokers are less prone to altitude sickness as well. Has something to do with their bodies having adapted to diluted air. Don't know but maybe the reverse might be true. When in pure air, your body needs less? Does anyone know?

Still a really bad reason to take up smoking.

My No. 1 tip is to relax and stop worrying about your air consumption: Most new divers "suck" air, a reduced SAC rate come with experience and being relaxed.

I tell my students and particularly my Dive Master Trainees that the most important factors in a low SAC are

Correct Weighting - If you are not at the correct angle in the water you will waste energy (and thus air) moving forward, if you are correctly weighted you should rarely (in warm water) need to adjust your buoyancy by adding removing air from your BCD, and you won't have to suddenly take big breaths to rise, or hover etc.

Being completely relaxed - Don't worry or fret about the amount of air you are using, the more you worry about it, the more air you use. When I started working as a DM and I had customers who looked like they would be good on air and I was doing deep or long dives, I would use a 15 litre (100 cu ft) tank just so I wouldn't have to worry about running low on air, and I would use less air than if I used a 12 litre (80 cu ft) simply because I was more relaxed. Now I use a 7 litre (50 cu ft) tank on almost all recreational dives.

Experience and Practice - It will get better, as you get more experienced you will relax more, last year we did an experiment with the Dive Master Candidates, using my Dive Computer (Galileo Sol). All the dive masters were younger and fitter than me, and nearly all of them were smaller than me and they all had 100+ dives. We measured their air consumption and heart rate. I had the lowest SAC (averaging about 9.2 L/min or (i think about 0.34 cu ft/min) and I was the only one whose heart rate dropped underwater (and significantly too - my resting heartrate underwater can be as low as 43 whilst my resting heart rate on the surface is ususlly around 65-70)

So to re-iterate, don't worry about your consumption, just try and get your weighting correct and relax!

I too am in the "air hog" group. I have done the following to cut my consumption, with little to no improvement in my use.
lost over 100 lbs - Although this was a great thing, it really didn't help my consumption
Bought an incline trainer and went from sedentary lifestyle to daily 1 hour runs on the thing. Also bought a Kayak and use it about twice a week - have done this for going on one year now. I am a VERY strong swimmer as a result!
Got a newer more expensive regulator - My old reg was having issues, so I thought just maybe.... nope did not help
went from carrying around about 16 lbs of lead to 10 lbs. more comfortable, but still no real improvement.
quit smoking
quit moving so much - helped a little.

New changes

I have been spending a lot of time practicing breathing on the surface I have found I go through 5 full breath cycles per minute - I have been trying to relax, visualize, and time my breathing.
I bought a new back inflate BC to replace a jacket BC that I haven't had a chance to use yet. I have also trimmed out my hoses and whole setup.
I am switching to HP100 tanks. I already have them, just getting them out and having them hydro'd now. This will at least give my poor dive buddies a break. They regularly are surfacing with close to 2000 PSI!
I am removing more weight - and probably a little more extra too due to the hp tank.
So now its just a matter of slowing down even further. I have rather large thigh muscles, and pretty high capacity lungs - Maybe I still haven't learned to calm down? I know when I monitor my PSI (between 70-85 PSI per minute) it stays pretty steady, until I do something like try to catch a lobster. then it rockets to 161! So its true that getting excited causes massive air consumption. I think I have safely eliminated everything except slowing down even more, remaining calm, and experience.

I do not recommend this at all, but due to some recent personal problems I started smoking again after 5 yrs...stupid I know and I plan to quit soon. The weird side effect I noticed is my air consumption decreased dramatically... weird but true, and again I don't suggest this as the cons outweigh the pros. Just found it interesting. Perhaps someone here could suggest a medical reason for this?

I suspect it may have something to do with your body developing a tolerance for CO and CO2 as a result of smoking. That should give some temporary reduction in sac if you are doing some skip breathing.

Weapons firing produces CO and can cause problems in confined spaces like inside a tank. The Army tested a new system in the '80s,monitoring CO levels in the blood (carboxihemoglobin sp?) and saw a similar phenomena.

I doubt if it warrants any changes to the warning label (or the tax).

We've all been there...gas limits BT for almost everyone at first, but it DOES get better with experience....Here's my quick thoughts, which mirror others, but with a few adds/tweaks:

1) RELAX AND DON'T THINK SO MUCH: If you focus on how much gas you're using, you'll use more...focus on other stuff on the dive and you'll naturally relax...IMHO, novice divers tense up a lot during a dive, and this creates a viscious cycle...they have a lot of air in lungs, which is +B, which they offset by over-weighting, which then leads to more exertion underwater, etcs...and all of this activity leads a lot of people to just start thinking about it all WAY too much...all leading to increased gas consumption...Diving for most folks starts out as an adrenaline rush activity, and ends up being a zen-like activity (I still remember the first time I surfaced after a 50+ min dive and was worried b/c there was a period of 5-10 mins I just completely felt at peace...I was afraid I was narc'd or something...When I asked what was wrong with me, the DM laughed and said, "DUDE....That's why we dive!")...This is why people say to get more dives in...With experience comes the natural transition from adrenaline rush feelings (which is natural when doing a new activity in which one often first feels like "God really never intended me to be here...I really hope my equipment works!") to zen-rush (when the voices in your head just "disappear" and the real-world fades away!)...And Zen consumes less air, by FAR!

2) PACE YOURSELF WITH A BUDDY OR DM: Find somebody in your dive group that consumes a "normal" amount of air...for a few cycles, and without telling them (don't make them think about their breathing) deliberately breathe in synch with them...You'll get a sense pretty quickly where your breathing pace is relative to others and how it differs....I'm sure someone will point out inherent dangers in doing this too much, but it can be a helpful tool in both diagnosing whether lung volume or breathing rate is driving your consumption...and it is most likely rate, probably due to inexperience and what I think of as "adrenaline tightness" rather than zen calmness....I do something like this type of pacing when I need to get my young daughter to sleep when she's too wound up to get herself to sleep...I place my arm over her body, which gives comfort and slightly increases the energy required to breathe rapidly, and I just breathe slowly...She very naturally begins to pace her breathing to synch with mine, and she calms down and goes to sleep...You obviously don't want to fall asleep, but pacing to somebody else's breathing inthe water will tell you a lot and help you calm down naturally...if done in moderation...Don't force yourself to breathe like the DM the entire dive, or you'll be violating rule #1 and be thinking too much!

3) DON'T SWIM SO MUCH/LOWER YOUR EXERTION LEVEL: I'm shocked at how new divers always want to cover so much real estate while they're down, hoping a shark is just around the next bend, I suppose...and they end up missing good stuff...You'll actually see more if you swim less...and you'll reduce gas consumption too...not only b/c you'll be exerting less, but b/c you will focus on other stuff and zen-out naturally...When you start to get more comfortable, you'll also naturally want to shed more weight, which will actually help with your BControl, which will get you more horizontal, which will help your gas consumption...and you'll be in a virtuous cycle...and before you know it, you'll be wanting Nitrox so you can extend bottom times!

4) GET A BIGGER TANK: If you stop spending the entire dive worrying about how to get more BT, you'll consume less...crazy, I know, but true...Reminds me of my paraplegic Father-in-Law who was in a wheelchair and needed a Service Dog to help for those awkward times when he dropped his keys and couldn't get them for himself without asking help from complete strangers...When he got a dog, he never dropped his keys again!

HTH!

R E L A X ......

Get comfortable with the underwater environment before you venture deeper. I think this is good advise at every stage of diver education. It can continue to get more complicated...

To me it's like driving a car: get comfortable going slow before increasing your speed (and depth), learn to handle easy conditions before venturing into potentially more hazardous ones, keep your vehicle (equipment) properly maintained. Learn your envelope and always operate within it and remember to have fun! It will work itself out; no worries...

I'm new but I'll say Slow Down. It's amazing how much more time I can get when I'm just "chillin" rather than swimming vigorously.

This may sound dumb, but my SAC rate improved when I loosed the cumberbund on my bcd. I use my stomach to control inhilation and I found the cumberbund restricted my abiltiy to breathe normally, making me work harder to breathe and use more air in the process.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom