Your images, where?

Please read the first post in the thread.....it's a long question.

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh man, I'm going to hate myself for posting this.......

Warren L, Bladephotographer, Alcina. Mike Veitch and many others (Thalassamania, too :) all have good input from past and present experience, many with various UW photography systems. I consider myself pretty well versed in this, too.......

Not to take anything away from f3Nikon's posts, as he may be the nicest, most knowledgeable guy you'd want to grab a beer / coffee with and discuss UW photography until the cows come home :)

But if I'm reading anything into the point of Kim's post, it's the proof is in the examples one can directly show when offering advice. And in today's world it's a digital file posted online. Arguing measurements and endless technical mumbo jumbo will not help a newbie select equipment and go shoot UW pics and have fun, making them a life long convert to diving.

Thalassmania and I have been around long enough to have watched HUGE evolutions in diving and especially now UW photography gear. We've even had some fun discussions on diver training, DIR or DIW (Doing It Wrong, Tee Hee :) and more......

People with lots of experience in a certain venue use what they're comfortable with. Some continually change, embrace and learn how to maximize and share new technology. Too each his own!

Finally, I do think anyone reading posts can usually tell (or find out) whether posts detailing equipment choices is valid advice......

Always listening, always learning lowly old diver - David Haas :)

David Haas Underwater Photography

But if I'm reading anything into the point of Kim's post, it's the proof is in the examples one can directly show when offering advice.

David, the point is: Where do you draw the line? Why is UWP such a sacred cow? There is no burden of proof on any other poster to make a point or offer advice anywhere else on the board. (Barring private forums). If someone makes a comment, other posters are free to agree or disagree. I suppose that we will all have to provide signed logbooks before being able to offer advice about diving too.

There should be no burden of proof for a poster to be able to provide advice or feedback to a question and much more importantly, this entire argument is pointless because nothing will (or should be) implemented along these lines on SB.

hmm... think I'll start adding a disclaimer to my sig...

I'm not a professional u/w photographer, I just play one online...

:D

But if I'm reading anything into the point of Kim's post, it's the proof is in the examples one can directly show when offering advice. And in today's world it's a digital file posted online.
Yup....pretty close. Other references may do well in lieu of........ even simply telling us what gear you have, and use or whatever. It depends on the topic quite often.

My main point is actually very simple. Please...say what you want and believe in, but show me why. Why do you think what you posted? Because it's your experience? (show photos) Because it's a tip you heard from a friend or read somewhere? (please...tell us!) Some other reason based on something real? (share it....please)

Seeing the picture you want to capture is an art.

Capturing it is a science....or pure luck! :D (and often also a matter of rather expensive equipment, depending on your vision and expectation....:eyebrow:)

Either way....giving advice to others on the subject of photography involves sharing IMO. If you can't, or won't share, then it's better to listen to those who do, and it's better if they aren't buried in too much crap.

If someone makes a comment, other posters are free to agree or disagree.
Agreed. But at what point should it be possible to ask a burden of proof, or at least example?
Is it OK for anyone to blindly push their unsubstantiated in any way view point forward, in post after post, in the face of many other real world posts from members that know that that view point is simply wrong?

Is this really what you think?

Oh man, I'm going to hate myself for posting this.......

Warren L, Bladephotographer, Alcina. Mike Veitch and many others (Thalassamania, too :) all have good input from past and present experience, many with various UW photography systems. I consider myself pretty well versed in this, too.......

Not to take anything away from f3Nikon's posts, as he may be the nicest, most knowledgeable guy you'd want to grab a beer / coffee with and discuss UW photography until the cows come home :)

But if I'm reading anything into the point of Kim's post, it's the proof is in the examples one can directly show when offering advice. And in today's world it's a digital file posted online. Arguing measurements and endless technical mumbo jumbo will not help a newbie select equipment and go shoot UW pics and have fun, making them a life long convert to diving.

Thalassmania and I have been around long enough to have watched HUGE evolutions in diving and especially now UW photography gear. We've even had some fun discussions on diver training, DIR or DIW (Doing It Wrong, Tee Hee :) and more......

People with lots of experience in a certain venue use what they're comfortable with. Some continually change, embrace and learn how to maximize and share new technology. Too each his own!

Finally, I do think anyone reading posts can usually tell (or find out) whether posts detailing equipment choices is valid advice......

Always listening, always learning lowly old diver - David Haas :)

David Haas Underwater Photography

Dave,

Having learned a lot from people like you, Alcina and many other great photogs over on DDN you can quickly spot a helpful post with helpful information from among the rest of the posts.

Sometimes posting an image, or pointing a poster to a website to look at some images, is helpful. As has been said, sometimes a picture is worth....

That said, there is no way I am posting pictures that I took with my 110 camera in an Ike housing back in the 70's. :D

That said, there is no way I am posting pictures that I took with my 110 camera in an Ike housing back in the 70's. :D
Oh c'mon now....

No one is asking you to strip naked and show us your weenie! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom