Your adventures with DIY regulator servicing ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not long after getting dive certified in the late 90s, I bought a new set of regulators. During an annual service, the shop made incorrect statements about why the regulator was having issues. This was frustrating for me, for the simple reason that I knew the use history of my regulators better than the person servicing them. At that time I had no idea how the regulators worked, and so bit my tongue and decided to find another way to deal with servicing.

Scubaboard was a new resource at that time, I started reading posts about DIY regulator servicing and purchased Scuba Maintenance & Repair and Regulator Savvy. With that information in hand, I purchased a used Scubapro MK10/109 off ebay and learned how to service it. I began collecting service manuals and diagrams, and looking for tool and parts sources. It has progressed into a rewarding addiction, I'm always looking for unique and unusual regulators to service and dive.

Not long after getting dive certified in the late 90s, I bought a new set of regulators. During an annual service, the shop made incorrect statements about why the regulator was having issues. This was frustrating for me, for the simple reason that I knew the use history of my regulators better than the person servicing them. At that time I had no idea how the regulators worked, and so bit my tongue and decided to find another way to deal with servicing.

Scubaboard was a new resource at that time, I started reading posts about DIY regulator servicing and purchased Scuba Maintenance & Repair and Regulator Savvy. With that information in hand, I purchased a used Scubapro MK10/109 off ebay and learned how to service it. I began collecting service manuals and diagrams, and looking for tool and parts sources. It has progressed into a rewarding addiction, I'm always looking for unique and unusual regulators to service and dive.

That's awesome. I hope that's my story in 15 years or so when the kids are older and I have some more time.

I took my local tech beer and bought another lunch. Been blowing my own bubbles since then.

No class for me, but I have been repairing all manner of equipment and electromechanical devices all my life. I had a tech for my regs, but he wouldn't work on the odd vintage gear I wanted to fix, so I started doing it myself. Now I just take care of all of it myself. The Internet, and ScubaBoard in particular, have made it much easier to find information, manuals, and parts to fix nearly anything.

The dark side isn't so bad.

Back
Top Bottom