You must be getting bored with these by now.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good job getting there Gary!!! Sounds like another outstanding op!

We had a near miss at the lake today. One of our waterdogs (lake Patrol Deputies) was on the ball rescued another intoxicated subject to managed to get thrown off his PWC. Already at the hanger gearing up for it and was very relieved that we didn't have to go.

And it has only started brother!!!:scubadive

Paul

Gary D.:
Once the divers were done the fireboat crew foamed them down and prior to leaving the scene we did a debriefing. Everyone seems to be doing well.
Gary D.

Curious as to why they foam the divers down? I would assume they are in drysuits right? Please do post your stories, your job has earned a lot of respect from me, and I am sure others, by reading your posts.

Peter_C:
Curious as to why they foam the divers down? I would assume they are in drysuits right?QUOTE]
Years ago the foam was Soybean Oil and Animal Blood. It made a royal mess anytime it was used.

Now I’m not a Fireman, I don’t play one on TV and I didn’t stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. But from what I understand, today there are several types of foam for various uses.

The foam we get foamed with is like a strong dish washing liquid. It cleans our gear faster and more thoroughly than anything else we have tried and it doesn’t damage anything.

As soon as the divers get out of the water from any type of contamination like hydrocarbons and/or body parts and fluids they get foamed from head to toe.

We have been doing that for a lot of years with good results. Besides the fire guys and gals like playing in the foam.

We had two divers dealing with the removal and bagging of the body. Besides the gas and oil in the water there were body fluids and DNA suspended all over them so they both got foamed.

Incase you missed it earlier I’ll just mention it again about how proud I am of my teammates. These guys will do just about anything to get a job done and done safely. And as we just found out on another operation not a one of them are afraid to call a dive they feel they aren’t ready for. They make me feel like one proud father. :D

Gary D.

Gary D.

There are three types of foam, Class A,B, and C. Class A is the most common type carried by fire engines. The foam is used to break down the surface tension of the water to promote better viscosity which allows the water to better penetrate into the nooks and crannies and provide better fire surpression. It is also a mild detergent, which is why it is also used for decontamination. The other classes of foam are for chemical fires and are generally used by airport fire supression units.

Gee, I actually got to contribute something somewhat useful to this forum:D

Thanks Gary and Andy. I am always interested to learn the "why's" of the world. Figured it was a wash down, but never realized the foam they have available is a detergent, let alone the fact they have multiple types of foam.

Gary hats off 2 you and your team it is a hard job which very few can do so calls come a lot and even if they where alive at least teh famly new how hard you tried to get there to many ppl would have said screw it I'm not going or i get there tomorrow but not you once again hats off to you and your team keep up the good work

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom