You got to ban that Rock and Roll music!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Andy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
well... the Kingsmen's "Louie Louie" was banned, allegedly for obscene lyrics.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=816&e=3&u=/ap/20050505/ap_on_fe_st/no_louie_louie

according to the article, "The FBI spent two years investigating the lyrics before declaring
they not only were not obscene but also were 'unintelligible at any speed.'"

(i am glad to know the FBI is on the case when it comes to naughty words!)

here is a secret letter from the FBI investigation with the shocking lyrics!!

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/louie/louiereal1.html

Well, I dont get why it's banned, but then again I dont care. It's the freaking world we live in. As long as my alma mater, Ohio State doesnt stop playing the song, then I could careless. Go pound salt you censoring geeks.

What next? Maybe they'll ban rap.

Although Louie Louie was written in 1955 the wild, shouted version by the Kingsmen propelled it into probably the most popular rock song ever recorded. I remember when the principal of our school announced that the song contained filthy language and was not to be purchased or played. Of course, when the final bell rang we all ran to the store and got our copy before it sold out. Louie Louie is actually a tender love song about a Jamacian Fisherman who longed to see his love back home. He tells the bartender Louie all about it with the appropriate suffering.

Another song by the Mamas and Papas "I Love Rock and Roll Music" had a twix in it that was also said to contain a vulgar message if played backward. We tried that too and it never worked.

Probably the best all time censorships was the song "Je'Taime Moi Non Plus" recorded in 1969 by Serge Gainsbourg and Jane Birkin. There was lots of whispering and moaning and heavy breathing and some slow seductive music. Most all countries in Europe and the United States banned import of the recording. We actually took a bus to France to purchase a copy and smuggle it back into Spain. Today you can download it on the internet and it doesn't seem like such a big deal. One laughs when they realize that it is a satire that proves you can sell anything if you package it right. The lyrics literally translated are "I come and go between your kidneys."

Just some thoughts - One sure way to make something popular is to ban it.

American music censors made The Kinks change "Coca-Cola" to "Cherry Cola" in their song Lola, before they would release it over here.

not to be a pervert, but if you are looking for things to ban, "cherry cola" has
a lot more sexual overtones than "coca cola"

i guess it was a copyright/trademark thing. there's this band that has a
song called "This Knee Land" because Disney wouldn't let them use the
world "Disneyland"

H2Andy:
not to be a pervert, but if you are looking for things to ban, "cherry cola" has
a lot more sexual overtones than "coca cola"

i guess it was a copyright/trademark thing.

It was.....and you're right -- Cherry Cola is a bit provocative...LOL :)

dlndavid:
I am crossing my fingers on this one! Dont care about the lyrics, just stop wasting airwaves playing it.

The version of the Kinks songs i have from the UK also has those changes in the lyrics, i guess they just kept it once it was changed.

dlndavid:

And the down side would be??????

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom