Yonaguni Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

japan-diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Just returned back to the real world after two solid weeks of diving Yonaguni. Althought the island has been built up a little over the years their is still pretty much a absence of web availability there- with the only internet cafe closing since my last visit (its now a bakery) Over my two weeks there we welcomed over 20 international clientele from around the globe - we had visitors from France, Russia, Canada, China, Taiwan, England, Australia and of course the US along with our regular Japanese clientele. The Reef Encounters team spent days exploring the underwater monuments and chasing hammerheads. We also had NHK along for the ride on a few dives chasing sharks and shooting another story on the monuments.

Weather for the most part cooperated with us - although one team there for three days was unable to dive the monument due to winds/waves. Most groups got to do at least two dives on the monuments and also we explored "The Stage" which is located below Tachigami Iwa and contains the monument to Jacques Mayol`s last dive and also a very ancient carving of a face. On a few of the monument dives we were lucky enough to have no current and were able to slowly explore the entire upper terrace at leisure. We also spent a few dives cruising the face to check the "stairs" and the road around the bottom of the structure. With one of these dives being interrupted by the apperrance of very curious and very large GT who was wondering what all these noisy bubble making things were in his front yard.

The hammerhead dives this year saw large schools and close encounters. We were successful on about 70% of all shark dives and even ran into a few schools while exploring the reefs. The largest school numbered over 100 with multiple schools of 50 plus. One morning the team was lucky enought to drop directly into the middle of a large school and the very suprised sharks were quite curious and came to check out some also very suprised divers. We also had a close encounter with small group on one of our safety stops- after ending a nice wall dive at Danno Drop we headed out to get picked up and while drifting at 5m a small group of sharks came by for a quick visit- what a way to end the dive.

Overall a very successful trip with many happy diver, s and lots of good memories- one crashed scooter (which was quite the excitement in Yonaguni- no serious injuries in the crash though), many pints of Orion draft put away after dives along with much fresh shashimi.

Lucky me I head back in 9 days for another 4 days of diving with another group of divers.

Just returned from another trip to Yonaguni and it was awesome again as usual. The first day started by catching the early flight to Yonaguni from Naha, check in at the Bamboo Annex and a easy dive at Anchor Point to get everyones weight tuned in - no currents but huge turtles and a very large tuna came by to say hi!! With everyone tuned in and the wind forcast to change the next day we headed to Iseki Point for dive two and had smooth water and no current which allowed for exploration of the monument with ease. Not a bad way to end the first afternoon of diving.

The second day we were greeted by strong winds and swell but were able to get an early morning dive in looking for sharks- during the drift one lonely - but very large hammerhead came to check us out. We then explored SaWest Palace before lunch and we greeted by a huge school of some of the biggest barracuda I have ever seen when exiting the swimthroughs. After lunch we dove Twin Arch one of my favorite dives on Yonaguni, tons of fish and great swimthroughs and landscape. We rounded out the day with another drift for hammerheads but only schools of fusilers and unicorn fish came to play.

The third and final day the group voted for a early morning reef dive and we explored Neugan Drop with tons of sea fans and clouds of juvenile fish. The current which was missing the first to days was back and moving quickly. The last dive of the trip we opted for one more shot at the sharks, dropping into the current at Irizaki we drifted for 10 minutes before out of the blue we were greeted by 30-40 large hammerheads who then decided to shadow us for almost 10 minutes coming in close and then moving off a bit- what a way to end a trip.

The afternoon we toured the local awamori factory and shopped for t-shirts before retiring to the villa for a huge BBQ of Yonaguni steak and shashimi. It just doesn't get any better than this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom