Yonaguni, The sunken city

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I haven't been there yet but I have been dying to go there ever since I heard about. The pics confirmed my desire.
Pls post a report if you go.

Will do, BTW the only english speaking dive shop that I know of that dives it is Reef Encounter, out of Okinawa JP. Check out their web page for more info. www.reefencounters.org
I would suggest going with them unless your japaneese is up to date... It's pretty confussing trying to figure out bottom times and currents with the national's as DM's.

But I know someone who went last year and raved about it. He went through a dive shop called Fathoms on the main Island of Okinawa. He said they were great, which is fortunate because I think they are about the only game in town for English speaking operators. You might want to check their website for info(google: "fathoms" "Okinawa" and it should come up). Besides the monument, he saw lots of Hammerheads. I've lived in Japan for years and never gone. Shame on me!

If you want me to try to put you in touch with my friend, let me know

try this for Fathoms Deep

Also on the same trip they normally go to Ishigaki which is meant to be pretty good as well.

Not been myself yet either (had ot cancel due to work last year) but hopefully getting down there later this year.

There is a lot of conjecture about whether it is a city or not but all agree it is pretty spectacular. I also heard the currents were quite strong....

Jonathan

From the pic's I've seen, the currents do look pretty wicked.. The one picture had the DM wearing free diving fins while on site. And from what I've been told, all dives around there are drift dives. I also seen a brief movie of the dive.. Bubbles were blowing by the dives about as fast a cigarette somke would a smoker on an average day.. They were holding on to a mooring line.. VROOM!!

If you have the chance to go and can handle the diving conditions, GO FOR IT !

As has been stated there are 2 dive shops on Okinawa that will cater to English speaking divers. Fathoms and Reef Encounters. Both charge slightly different rates, both will give you significantly different experiences in Yonaguni. Both shops offer all inclusive packages of air travel from Okinawa to Yonaguni, lodging accomodations, all meals and all diving. All travel to and from Yonaguni must go through Okinawa, so it's not a scam to get someone to Okinawa. Fathoms does a combo trip to Yonaguni and Ishigaki, but it has a different price and is at a different time of the year.

Both shops use the same dive operator on Yonaguni, from there the differences become dramatic. Even using the same dive operator, customers from one shop are treated completely different than from the other. No matter which one you go with, you don't know what you've missed until it's all over and done with and you've already spent your money.

Yes hammerheads are running through the area already and we have seen them as late as April. The underwater structures are incredible, but depending on which shop you go with, it will determine how many of the structures you see. Either way you will come away with your own thoughts once you have seen it.

The currents in Yonaguni are very strong and the water can be very rough. All dives are ended with a drifting mid-water (blue water) ascent with safety stop (no anchor lines or reefs for reference). Buoyancy control is of absolute utmost importance for all ascents and also for descents, since viewing of hammerheads is in an area where if you miss the mark even slightly, the bottom is over 350 feet deep.

This is an incredible opportunity for all to see, however if your dive skills are not sharp or you are an "occasional diver", reconsider your dive destination until you have had a chance to gain more experience. Yonaguni isn't going any place, and more is being discovered every day there. So go when your ready.

Thanks for the info.... Which shop would you go with if you were going to go again?

Yonaguni is absolutely the best dive site in Japan. Not only for the hammerheads and the sunken 'temple' - I wouldn't call it a city. The macro is wonderful. Pygmee sea horses, fire dart gobies, nudi branches... It is often deep diving with currents - so nothing for a beginner - but I highly recommend it (even if it is pricey).

Jonathan.. you need trimix there.

Thomas

Back
Top Bottom