YMCA Diving program - will dive shops recognize?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

xrochester

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I was certified in 1977 by the YMCA Scuba Program and just sent away for an updated C-Card. Will dive shops recognize this and will I be able to get my tanks filled?

I was certified in 1977 by the YMCA Scuba Program and just sent away for an updated C-Card. Will dive shops recognize this and will I be able to get my tanks filled?

Yes ... but if you haven't dived in a long time, I'd highly recommend a refresher class ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

The certification is recognized world wide, but your bigger problem might be getting a new card from YMCA. They had a big fire and lost a lot of their old records, I'm just not sure what year.

Absolutely, currently no diver cards issued in the US, with the exception of leadership cards, have an expiration date on them. If you are overly concerned you can opt to get the CMAS equivalency card the Y offers then register with CMAS AMERICAS to ensure you can replace your card. CMAS is in fact the oldest international diver training program and recognized worldwide for producing the most skilled divers in the world. The US was a founding member but our representative group at the time was and still is only interested in the competitive sports associated with diving. Unfortunately, up until we openned CMAS AMERICAS in 2005 CMAS training programs were not directly represented here in the US.

CMAS One

Both posts regarding this topic are slightly inaccurate. Although the Y Scuba program is known in many places around the world it is not widely taught. That is part of the reason they chose to affiliate with CMAS and had an agreement to issue CMAS equivalency cards. Now that CMAS is directly represented in the US by CMAS AMERICAS Y card holders do have some additional options.

CMAS One

Absolutely, currently no diver cards issued in the US, with the exception of leadership cards, have an expiration date on them.
GUE cards have expiration dates and have to be renewed every three years (e.g. submit a minimum number of logged dives at the certification level).

Back
Top Bottom