YIKES! salt (?) on my o-ring after a dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd suggest using some paper towels instead of tissue. Tissue makes a goopy mess.

Tissue makes a goopy mess.
And.....you've got a bigger problem than goopy tissue.
But it is so satisfying to pull out dry tissue after the dunk test!
Almost as satisfying as seeing the little green vacuum light on a housing......

as the others say...

additional advice: do'nt forget to clean the groove, where the O-ring is sitting, not just the O-ring itself. Use e.g. cleaning sticks for the groove (those without wadding)...

And when at home order a vacuum system...

Wolfgang

Others have given you good advice, but I will add my "2 cents worth".

When you are cleaning the groove that the o-ring sits in, do not use a "Q Tip"! Use something that is lint free. Things that I would recommend would include a corner of a micro fiber towel or make a trip to your local gun shop and pick up some lint free cleaning swabs (They look like Q Tips but are lint free). You don't want to leave any fibers behind when you clean the groove.

Others have given you good advice, but I will add my "2 cents worth".

When you are cleaning the groove that the o-ring sits in, do not use a "Q Tip"! Use something that is lint free. Things that I would recommend would include a corner of a micro fiber towel or make a trip to your local gun shop and pick up some lint free cleaning swabs (They look like Q Tips but at lint free). You don't want to leave any fibers behind when you clean the groove.
Makeup removers work well too....little foam pads. Depends on whether you'd rather be seen in a gun store or at a makeup counter.

And stop sweating it so much about your camera/housing. I don't mean not to pay attention and ensure the seal is clean, and proper but If your camera is so precious that you are sweating about the very real chance your housing might flood then underwater photography is not for you.

By nature, you are taking a sensitive electronic item into a hostile environment where it is sure to be damaged/destroyed if the environment contacts it. There is NO guarantee that a camera housing will remain watertight through a dive and this is a reality that anyone bringing camera gear into the water needs to either accept or basically ignore.

Gently clean the seal and groove, lightly lube the seal, test with papertowels or tissues as others have recommended and then dive and take lots of photos.

Stop the worrying, or just leave the camera on land/boat.

-Z

There's always a drop or two of water, it was outside the housing in between the two housing halves and beads up into a drop sitting on the o-ring when you open it, not a big deal, just mop it up. I would not close the hosuing till I cleaned and serviced the o-ring due to the grit.

If you are concerned about floods get a vacuum system, the little self contained ones are the way to go, don't recall their name right now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom