Yet another what to buy thread...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UTKnox

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm looking for a fairly cheap compact Point & Shoot camera/housing, and I've come across a couple of questions. I'm not looking for anything super fancy, but I do want to get the best bang for the buck and have something that works just as well on land as underwater. Definitely want to have the Manual option, as well as some sort of Image Stabilization, which is the main reason I've been looking at the 710/570.

Ideally I'd like to be able to have RAW, but I'm having trouble finding something in my pricerange that does so. Any suggestions here?

I'm liking both the Canon A710IS & A570IS (price/size/features), yet there's a sizable price difference between the two. Is the 710 really that much better than the 570? The only real difference I've seen barring a minor feature here & there is the 1600 ISO in the 570. :confused: (Not to mention neither of them do RAW).

Thanks for your help folks!

RAW is not a popular feature at the moment for these types of compact digital cameras so the options are very limited.

Personally, I'd sacrifice the RAW and go with Canon A series. IS probably isn't too useful underwater, but if you want it on land, spring for the extra $$. I've got a 520 and it works just fine.

If I wasn't willing to sacrifice the RAW, the Oly 350 might be a contender; Fuji has the 900 & older 810 (neither Fuji floated my boat, but lots of happy users out there!); if you can find an Oly 5050 around it's a great choice but slow to write and much larger overall than some of the other choices.

I'll have a look and see what I can dig up so far as your recommendations, I appreciate it! :)

Since RAW is looking like it's going to be a problem for what I want, let's try it this way. I'm a bit anal when it comes to quality (rightfully so!). Seeing as how I'm now going to be stuck w/ .jpeg as my output file, what does that do to me in terms of editing the picture? Is there some sort of RAW converter?

BTW Alcina, youre threads are a HUGE help, thanks again for that alone!

Let's look at this from the other side.

Buy a camera that is capable of good images - pretty much a long list, I know.

Learn how to use it. Think you've got it down? Push yourself to try new things and to improve the things you already "know".

Spend less time worrying about editing after the fact and more time trying to achieve the image you want in situ first. This is the number one factor for image quality.

Editing is very important,of course, and having the best file possible to start with is essential. But RAW vs JPEG isn't the key - being a better photographer is and that means practice and knowing your system. Yes, there are definitive advantages to RAW files but I think that sometimes we overlook that we should really be trying to get better shots to begin with!

Adobe's new Lightroom promises to give jpeg shooters more choices and more control - it might be worth downloading the free 30 day trial version to see if you can get what you need from it. I've used it and really enjoyed it so I bought it...waiting for my real copy to arrive as we speak.

In a nutshell, a camera in hand is worth 10000 cameras still on the shelf! Take the plunge, choose a camera and get shooting. Most people will change systems or significantly add to a system relatively soon after their first purchase as they learn what they can achieve with the system and what they WANT to achieve.

HTH

*Very* good point. It would seem I've eliminated a good chunk of this equation already.

As of now, I'm back to the 710/570 debate. Do you have any insight here?

Thanks again for the help!

UTKnox:
I'm looking for a fairly cheap compact Point & Shoot camera/housing, and I've come across a couple of questions. I'm not looking for anything super fancy, but I do want to get the best bang for the buck and have something that works just as well on land as underwater. Definitely want to have the Manual option, as well as some sort of Image Stabilization, which is the main reason I've been looking at the 710/570.

Ideally I'd like to be able to have RAW, but I'm having trouble finding something in my pricerange that does so. Any suggestions here?

I'm liking both the Canon A710IS & A570IS (price/size/features), yet there's a sizable price difference between the two. Is the 710 really that much better than the 570? The only real difference I've seen barring a minor feature here & there is the 1600 ISO in the 570. :confused: (Not to mention neither of them do RAW).

actually the A570is is the later version of the 710(it just came out in Feb of this year)....Read a review by some guru that said it's not that big of a deal, ie 570 over the 710...actually, the money's are only $10 apart...I know, I resarched & researched this about 4 weeks ago---just got in the 570 2 weeks ago....get av8ter's pics, they are good(he has the 710).......

Read this thread(again about a month ago it was a hot topic here)......notice willar's respnse(he & I both ordered the A570is).......

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?p=2792125#post2792125

good luck......

And one other thing...........GEAUX TIGERS...........

diver 85:
UTKnox:

actually the A570is is the later version of the 710(it just came out in Feb of this year)....Read a review by some guru that said it's not that big of a deal, ie 570 over the 710...actually, the money's are only $10 apart...I know, I resarched & researched this about 4 weeks ago---just got in the 570 2 weeks ago....get av8ter's pics, they are good(he has the 710).......

Read this thread(again about a month ago it was a hot topic here)......notice willar's respnse(he & I both ordered the A570is).......

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?p=2792125#post2792125

good luck......

And one other thing...........GEAUX TIGERS...........

haha, not so sure where the Tigers are going to geaux this season with the uncertainty at QB!

To get back on track, are there any other cameras out there similar to the A570IS that might fit the bill? I don't want to pigeon hole myself into anything...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom