yet another sign posted at BIG BAY

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

roastbeef

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Yet! another sign has been posted up at Big Bay point indicating there is to be no scuba diving from Government dock. Picture attached.

Attachments

• tn.jpeg
    tn.jpeg
    4.4 KB · Views: 103
It looks like they've finally passed a bylaw. The only question if someone is charged (or is it when?), is do they manage the dock, or is it still Federal property? Someone could write Dept of Fisheries (pretty sure Oceans and Harbours are under them now, but it might be TC, maybe write both) and ask if the town has taken ownership or leases the dock. If they've not taken ownership and they don't lease, then they don't have the legal right to regulated.
Last, if you want to be really petty, get a boat and anchor beside the dock. They do not have the authority to regulate that.
Of course, I don't think it's a good or safe place to dive anyway, but I dislike any level of government telling us what and where.

I never use the dock - I just walk in from the small beach front to the right of the dock.

I guess I'm still okay....:D...for now

There was a big thread on Ontario Diving with some comments from divers who live there. I've never been to the area to I didn't pay attention to all the details, but there might be more info if you're looking for it.

is do they manage the dock, or is it still Federal property?

If its federal property and they are managing it, then they have authority. Its likely no longer federal, though. DFO was aggressively divesting all inland harbours since the 1990s, and most went to municipalities.
I too am against government intrusion into my life, but like with a lot of things imposing restrictions seems to be the only way they can deal with a problem. Gun registry, anyone? Another case of a modern trend: a few ignorant and thoughtless people screwing things up for everybody.

I never use the dock - I just walk in from the small beach front to the right of the dock.

I guess I'm still okay....:D...for now

You go with that. I've never seen anyone scuba dive "off" the dock. :wink: I'm sure what they mean is beside the dock. I'd like to see the bylaw and how it's worded. If the bylaw says no Scuba diving from the dock, then it doesn't ban shore diving. If they also ban shore diving (another bylaw or another sign) and own the property, then they can fine you. They still can't do anything about boat diving. THAT remains federal.

I note the sign states "Town Dock". The last time I was there (and it's been quite a while), there was still a "Federal" sign on the dock itself.

It just means you can't pile all your scuba gear on the dock and use it as a base station. You can swim around the dock go under the dock just don't jump off the dock. You can park your car on the side road outside the parking area just unload your gear at the beach. Its all big time BS. :idk:

I have spoken allot with councilor Davidson as well as bylaw officers while they where working this all out.

The bylaw is no diving from town docks. beaches adjacent to them are fine! However right away is to be given to the boaters.

The Dock is owned by the town, I have been told a number of times that the town bought the land and dock.

The issues was never soo much the actual diving that went on at the dock... However the fact that locals could not use the doc due to the lack of parking and from the litter of divers and gear on the dock ( typically weekends ).

So to put a stop to the town complaints they restricted parking to town residents only, and restricted diving from the dock... A win win for the town residents.

Back
Top Bottom