Yet ANOTHER light recommedation thread...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gulfwiskey

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
What I am looking for: push button switch of "on-off" switch, no slide switch and definitely no twist on/off switch, must be able to use non-rechargeable batteries (ie.... alkalines), prefer AAA or AA (due to size as it is going on a lanyard on my wrist) but would consider a light utilizing C cells and finally a spot beam; what are my options and what are the brightest ones available. Will be used in daylight, looking under ledges to find things to poke holes in.

Good lights that run on AAs are becoming quite a rare thing. I really prefer magnetic switches to push buttons so I’ll toss out this guy...

SALVIMAR Lecoled Dive Light https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IOG96TI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_WwTqBbWGTAY9K

You can see the green on/off lever on the top. Center position is ‘off’ and swing to either the right or left is ‘on’. Has a notch so you put a rubber band around it for storage to make sure it doesn’t get turned on accidentally.

Please take a look at our 970 lumen light. Comes with a rechargeable battery and charger and a very nice case as well.

We have these in stock and will generally ship (from Virginia) within one business day. We've been selling these lights for over a year and have had excellent customer feedback.

970 Lumen Dive Light | MAKO Spearguns

M970DL-2T.jpg

This light is definitely small enough to be worn on a wrist lanyard and is a focused and narrow beam - exactly what you need to penetrate under holes.

Please take a look at our 970 lumen light. Comes with a rechargeable battery and charger and a very nice case as well.

We have these in stock and will generally ship (from Virginia) within one business day. We've been selling these lights for over a year and have had excellent customer feedback.

970 Lumen Dive Light | MAKO Spearguns

View attachment 468235

This light is definitely small enough to be worn on a wrist lanyard and is a focused and narrow beam - exactly what you need to penetrate under holes.

I'm really looking for a light that accomodates alkaline batteries.

I'm really looking for a light that accomodates alkaline batteries.

Just out of curiosity, why alkalines? I've been super happy with the rechargeable 18650s in my lights.

Just out of curiosity, why alkalines? I've been super happy with the rechargeable 18650s in my lights.
There are times i will take multi day trips and it is easier if i can just pop in new batteries and continue on. I know i could always buy a second or third rechargeable but then that would require yet anothrr thing for me to get ready. The alkalines are just easy for me.

I don't know about MAKO lights but many of my lights will take either a rechargeable lithium 18650 OR you can use a plastic insert which holds 3xAAA alkaline batteries. Most of the Chinese eBay lights I've got work this way as do my dive-rite bx-1 lights. The dive-rites are not as bright as my other lights but I use them most often. They're bright enough and they're small n sturdy. I think dive-rite has discontinued the bx-1 and released a bx-2 that is brighter (just over 1000 lumen) and appears to use 18650. I can't say for sure if it comes with the insert that allows you to use 3xAAA in place of the 18650.

Although the lights take rechargeable (as does any light that will accept AAA or AA batts), I also insist on a light that will run on disposable alkaline. I made that decision not long after getting certified when I couldn't use my rechargeable can light one day because I'd forgotten to charge it. You can buy aaa alkaline batts pretty much anywhere in the world if needed.

1000 Lumen Dive Light This light is nice and bright, but it takes 3 "C" batts instead of AA/AAA so it's a little bigger. You can buy a similar model at Sunshine Scuba in largo if you prefer to go local. I think Sunshine charges a little more.

I don't know about MAKO lights but many of my lights will take either a rechargeable lithium 18650 OR you can use a plastic insert which holds 3xAAA alkaline batteries. Most of the Chinese eBay lights I've got work this way as do my dive-rite bx-1 lights. The dive-rites are not as bright as my other lights but I use them most often. They're bright enough and they're small n sturdy. I think dive-rite has discontinued the bx-1 and released a bx-2 that is brighter (just over 1000 lumen) and appears to use 18650. I can't say for sure if it comes with the insert that allows you to use 3xAAA in place of the 18650.

Although the lights take rechargeable (as does any light that will accept AAA or AA batts), I also insist on a light that will run on disposable alkaline. I made that decision not long after getting certified when I couldn't use my rechargeable can light one day because I'd forgotten to charge it. You can buy aaa alkaline batts pretty much anywhere in the world if needed.

1000 Lumen Dive Light This light is nice and bright, but it takes 3 "C" batts instead of AA/AAA so it's a little bigger. You can buy a similar model at Sunshine Scuba in largo if you prefer to go local. I think Sunshine charges a little more.
So the million dollar question is: Can i use the "insert" in ALL lights that require the 18650? And is this insert readily available for purchase should a light i like not co.e with one? If so, close the thread and i am done :)

Do you see any performance difference when using alkalines relative to the rechargeable?

So the million dollar question is: Can i use the "insert" in ALL lights that require the 18650? And is this insert readily available for purchase should a light i like not co.e with one? If so, close the thread and i am done :)

Do you see any performance difference when using alkalines relative to the rechargeable?
Unfortunately, the answer is no to the first question. I have two little plastic Chinese dive lights that take an 18650 but won't fire up when using the insert. I'm not sure if the insert isn't making proper contact or the 4.5v it provides over the 3.6v 18650 provides is causing the driver electronics to reject the battery. Either way, the answer is no.

The inserts I've got came with my dive rite lights. Interestingly enough I just ordered a $5 light for my propane grill last Friday and it takes 18650 or aaa via the insert, so I guess it's somewhat common. It's just not 100% guaranteed to work.

No, I don't see any performance difference. There might be if you dive long enough to run the batteries down but all of my lights have runtimes that far exceed what I will use on a two tank dive trip so I never see them run down. On every LED light I own, the light tends to turn purple if you've got a dying battery. I've only seen that if I forget to charge an 18650 or replace the alkaline.

Unfortunately, the answer is no to the first question. I have two little plastic Chinese dive lights that take an 18650 but won't fire up when using the insert. I'm not sure if the insert isn't making proper contact or the 4.5v it provides over the 3.6v 18650 provides is causing the driver electronics to reject the battery. Either way, the answer is no.

The inserts I've got came with my dive rite lights. Interestingly enough I just ordered a $5 light for my propane grill last Friday and it takes 18650 or aaa via the insert, so I guess it's somewhat common. It's just not 100% guaranteed to work.

No, I don't see any performance difference. There might be if you dive long enough to run the batteries down but all of my lights have runtimes that far exceed what I will use on a two tank dive trip so I never see them run down. On every LED light I own, the light tends to turn purple if you've got a dying battery. I've only seen that if I forget to charge an 18650 or replace the alkaline.

So, other than Dive Rite, what other lights/brands would you recommend that also come with an insert to allow use of alkalines?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom