(Yet Another) HydroOptix Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

undefined

Quite Refined
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I bought a pair of HydroOptix masks to try out in the pool this weekend. Prior to going to the pool I went and got a prescription for +3 contacts (I have 20/15 vision). My wife is naturally nearsighted with a -2.25 prescription, so she did not need contacts for the test. To be honest and fair - I did not wear the contacts when testing the mask. The primary reason for this is that, being new to wearing the little buggers, it takes me close to an hour to put one in. I didn't have it in me to fight with them yesterday morning.

My Results

Peripheral vision is incredible. The difference between the HydroOptix and my ScubaPro CrystalVu is significant to say the least. Beyond this, however, I had little love for the new toy. The mask is gigantic, and I had frequent issue with flooding and clearing issues. I found that it limited my mobility, as upside down or sideways positions regularly flooded the HydroOptix. Clearing it, even with two purge valves, is not all that easy as the water seems to pool in the center of the mask and some water always remained. It was worth a try, but it'll be going on eBay or here on the forum in the not too distant future. I offer no opinion on clarity as I chose not to wear contacts. I was judging the mask purely on ergonomics and peripheral vision, not on clarity of what I saw.

My Wife's Results

No glasses, no contacts, no problem! I don't think she even noticed the added peripheral vision so much as that it just worked. She seemed to have less flooding issues, although I did notice a lot of fogging problems (my observation, not hers) on her mask. She took to it like a fish to water, and while I don't see her throwing away or selling her CoolVu, I also don't see her putting in contacts before diving again. We have a winner! :D

Friend #1's Results

We brought my senior network architect down to the pool for a refresher. He hasn't been diving in about 15 years, so everything is new to him. After a few minutes in the pool I offered to let him try the HydroOptix. He fell in love with it immediately. He is near sighted and was not wearing contacts - I do not know his prescription but his comment was "Everything looks as sharp as HDTV". :D

Friend #2 - #4's Results

Three of our buddies who were also diving wanted to try it out. Bringing an HydroOptix mask to a pool session is an instant attraction to all the gearheads. One guy was wearing contacts that correct him back to 20/20, the other was mildly near sighted but did not know his prescription, and the last was far sighted. All of them immediately raved about the peripheral vision, but nearly as quickly complained that it was difficult to read their gauges. These results are not as useful, in my opinion, as none of these divers had prepared to wear the HO mask and being far sighted is the opposite of what the mask is intended to work with.

Conclusions

Bottom line is simple - dive it first and decide for yourself. Out of six divers we have one who was enthused (Friend #1), one who was happy not to wear contacts (my wife), three who had issues with visibility but were not properly prepared to wear the mask, and one who did not like the volume/flooding issues (me). Even if we narrow the sampling to the three original testers it still does not work for everyone. If HydroOptix gets around to making a version for us 20/20 chaps that resolves the flooding issue and is lower volume, I'll be the first in line to buy one. As the physics of the mask pretty much demand high volume, without serious changes to the purge system I won't be diving an HydroOptix mask again soon. My wife, however, will be sporting the fashionable Predator look with her new HydroOptix mask :D

Tried mine for the first time yesterday in open water. I was absolutely blown away by the effect - the lack of distortion, the clarity of vision, the amazing peripheral vision and situational awareness; this is not just a quantitative difference, but a new quality of diving: rather than just looking in, you are actually there :). I regret that after so many dives I have only discovered this now.

Fit? Flooding? No problem for me. If it would have flooded, this would mean I'd need to figure out some way to make it fit. Not going back.

Fogging? Water was 1° (34F) yesterday in lake Ontario. No fogging.

I don't get the comments about the looks of the mask. For me diving is not about how I look, but what I see, no? Investing all that time, spending all that money, lugging around all that stuff ... and then worried about looks? One does get the impression some people go diving for their need to impress "friends", rather than being somewhere, seeing something. Whatever. It's a superior piece of equipment. Period.

two.crows,

In no way did I try to imply that the HO mask was anything but a good piece of equipment. It just wasn't a good fit for me, and I'm a stubborn creature of habit. Believe me when I say I wanted to make it work...

It worked well for my wife and that is important! As for the appearance - I was trying to make a joke. I don't care what I look like while diving, nor does my wife. Just so long as our gear works and we can use it well we are happy.

Undef -

Please don't take my note personally; it was not directed at you, rather responding in a general sense to comments I have seen before. :) (Such as fogging and "bug-eyed" looks).

That said, there is actually a deeper and interesting question here: given that all our equipment can be judged on a variety of incommensurable dimensions, how do you weight them appropriately? Judging a mask includes (among others) volume, seal, tendency to fog, scratch resistance, clipless straps (yes/no), purge valves (yes/no), visual field, clarity of vision, price, familiarity of looks, requirement to wear contacts ... when we use one piece of equipment in preference over another, we roll these multiple scores into a single yes/no decision. After my experience yesterday I have learned that the importance of optics appears to be underapreciated in the community; otherwise many more would be diving a mask built along these principles. Optics is the one parameter that counts. That experience felt important enough to share.

Safe dives,
two.crows

two.crows,

You bring up an excellent point - what criteria are we judging our masks on? In my case, I was not judging the HO based on clarity as I knowingly did not put in contacts before diving it. My judgment was purely ergonomics (tendency to flood / ease of purging). I must confess, I'm a terrible candidate for the HO mask. For one, I have perfect vision and must wear contacts to use the mask. For another, I have a full beard. I'm basically the last person who should be doing a review on any mask, and I will be glad to admit that.

With that being said - I might try out the HO one more time if I can get the contacts in! Wearing contacts is kinda neat once they are in - I can't see worth **** beyond 12" from my face, but my closeup vision is twice as good as normal. It's like switching from standard television to HDTV, and this is without the mask. With the contacts in I can see the individual dots from my 1200 dpi laser printer at 5".... if my hands were steadier I could be a jeweler or surgeon with those little buggers in!

I really want to like the HO mask. Really want to like it. The R&D that they put into this thing is impressive. The diversion from the ordinary flat masks is daring. Everything about this mask appeals to me except my inability to clear it well. Don't get me wrong, I could get it cleared, it just didn't seem to stay that way for very long. I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and dive it one more time....

For the record - I have 20/180 right and 20/160 left with mild astigmatism. I think I said "it is sharp as my TV" - I have a 27" Sony Wega and it is pretty dang sharp. :wink:

When I do wear contacts, I wear 2.75 contact in my right eye and 2.50 in the left. I left my contacts at home for the dive, and my reference mask is pretty foggy and distorted.

I was very impressed with the clarity and field of view of the HO mask.

My reference mask is a Wenoka Sea-Style, circa 1990. Yes, pretty much anything different is new to me. :)

"My TV" .... "HDTV".... I had water in my ears :)

I guess I need to get myself back up to the pool and some contacts in....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom