Yet another golf ball diver dead - Naples, Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not a golf ball diver......although I do consistently contribute from the topside to the thousands of balls found in a water hazard. Whether on hooka or scuba....I'm thinking that a back mount bailout bottle with 2nd on a neckless is a must for this type of activity.

I'm also thinking that for these shallow depths, that once I had a full "load", I'd attach a lift bag and put it on the surface......then just pull it......or them.... to shore once done with my dives.
When I was diving with Virginia Taylor for golf balls in Florida near Orlando, it was 1970. We had not thought about either octopus regulators, or bailout bottles. But, I survived.

SeaRat

I'm not a golf ball diver......although I do consistently contribute from the topside to the thousands of balls found in a water hazard. Whether on hooka or scuba....I'm thinking that a back mount bailout bottle with 2nd on a neckless is a must for this type of activity.

I'm also thinking that for these shallow depths, that once I had a full "load", I'd attach a lift bag and put it on the surface......then just pull it......or them.... to shore once done with my dives.
A bailout would not have been practical for the diving I was doing. With a full-face mask, it would have taken longer for me to take off the mask and switch to my bailout than to ditch my weight harness and pop to the surface. I would rather not get that water in my face either. But you can bet I had my bailout procedure burned into my muscle memory. Thankfully I only had to implement it once or twice.

Lift bagging would be the smart approach. I didn't have to deal with golf balls (except in terms of keeping them out of the dredge nozzle) but I did have to bag plenty of 300lb intake screens and other assorted irrigation equipment depending on the job.

Perhaps an old style Horse Collar BC would be better for those types of dives? It would allow you to float on your back and relax.

On a side note: I saw something not long ago about a gold ball diver in Florida who got attacked by an Alligator. It drug him around by his arm trying to drown him but he had a fresh tank so he played dead until it let him loose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom