Yet another glowing report on Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cold diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
We are just back from Bonaire after 9 days, everything I read was true but hey, you have to go see for yourself.

We stayed at a B&B called the Deep Blue View Deep Blue View, intimate resort. Dive Bonaire in the Dutch Caribbean they are located up the hill overlooking Kralendijk and it's a beautiful place run by Menno and Ester who do a great job making everyone of their guest feel right at home.

Mostly we enjoyed the shore diving but also did a couple boat dives off Klien Bonaire and Hilma Hooker then went back and did Hilma Hooker again from shore. Other favorites were Witches hut the barier reef at Lac Bay and Oil Slick leap for most fun giant stride entry.:wink:

My advice to anyone thinking of going is to quit thinking and go. The only bad experince was the mosquitos:shakehead: and that was mostly due to being caught without bug repellent and the time of year we chose to go.

I attached a few pics, keep in mind I am a very amature photorapher.

We are already trying to figure out when we can get back.:D

Attachments

• Bonaire 8-28-08 030.jpg
    Bonaire 8-28-08 030.jpg
    437 KB · Views: 77
  • Bonaire 8-29-08 026.jpg
    Bonaire 8-29-08 026.jpg
    414.9 KB · Views: 83
  • Bonaire 8-29-08 001.jpg
    Bonaire 8-29-08 001.jpg
    396 KB · Views: 88
The only cure for PBD is to book another trip. I speak from experience....we booked our next trip within 2 weeks of returning from our first trip. :wink:

Just can't beat that diving freedom, you know? :)

My advice to anyone thinking of going is to quit thinking and go. The only bad experince was the mosquitos:shakehead: and that was mostly due to being caught without bug repellent and the time of year we chose to go.
Actually, you chose an OK time of the year to go as far as bugs go since it's the dry season now. Unfortunately they got a little wet in mid-August when Gustav first started rearing its head and that's all the bugs needed. Without a steady breeze to help keep them at bay, divers are at their mercy.

We're flying out on Friday's red-eye. I'm already planning on wearing long pants on the plane so I don't get devoured during the eternal wait for our bags to show up at the same time the mosquitos are waking up hungry. It's a pain to bring repellent on the plane.

The best feeling in the world is to finally get on that plane headed to Bonaire. The worst feeling in the world is your last day on the Island, and you realize that tomorrow you're headed back to the grind... :palmtree: Bob

Actually the best feeling for me is getting OFF that dang cattle bus and setting foot in your hotel room.

The vacation doesn't start for me until I get there, and get changed. Until then, it's work.

Tom

Well I am counting the days until October 11th when we leave for our second trip to Bonaire. Hopefully I will be able to see the infamous frog fish because I was not able to locate them last time. Den Laman and the Bari Reef it is for us. As stated earlier in the thread, I cannot wait to have the diving freedom again. Only 37 days to go. Then it is getting into the rental truck is the best time for me. Then it is ALL REAL.

We'll be in Row 9 on the same Red eye, feeling like I'm 9 and it's Xmas eve. :D
Another hour and it's time to check in!

I hope I still feel like a 9-year-old the next morning after an hour or two of sleep. We scored a good deal using miles, so we'll be in 2A&B.

Greg's tip of the day: Bring a trial-size of bug juice or some of those repellent wipes on the plane with you to apply immediately before deplaning. The mosquitoes wait all night long for the red-eye to arrive bringing fresh meat and it's a very, very, very, very long wait for the luggage in an open-air arrival room. (I think there's only one luggage handler on the island and he takes a breakfast break after he's unloaded half the bags.)

The DL FAQ advises splitting up: one waits for the luggage while the other gets the car. Good advice, I suppose, if the non-driver is burly enough. Unfortunately I want to be the one who gets the car, but it ain't nice making Janna schlep all the luggage (normally it's her fault for overpacking, but on dive trips I'm the one with the 65 lb camera case). Instead, I'll probably wait with her, then leave her out front of the airport watching the bags while I take the shuttle to the rental car depot.

It's easy enough to follow the signs to town and then out of town to the north, the only trick is getting through town where a series of arrows guides you through what often appear to be sidewalks, driveways, or parking lots. Eventually it becomes second nature and your autopilot kicks in after too many Brights, but it can be intimidating the first time. You're certainly welcome to follow us.

See you Friday.

Another hour and it's time to check in!

I hope I still feel like a 9-year-old the next morning after an hour or two of sleep. We scored a good deal using miles, so we'll be in 2A&B.

Greg's tip of the day: Bring a trial-size of bug juice or some of those repellent wipes on the plane with you to apply immediately before deplaning. The mosquitoes wait all night long for the red-eye to arrive bringing fresh meat and it's a very, very, very, very long wait for the luggage in an open-air arrival room. (I think there's only one luggage handler on the island and he takes a breakfast break after he's unloaded half the bags.)

The DL FAQ advises splitting up: one waits for the luggage while the other gets the car. Good advice, I suppose, if the non-driver is burly enough. Unfortunately I want to be the one who gets the car, but it ain't nice making Janna schlep all the luggage (normally it's her fault for overpacking, but on dive trips I'm the one with the 65 lb camera case). Instead, I'll probably wait with her, then leave her out front of the airport watching the bags while I take the shuttle to the rental car depot.

It's easy enough to follow the signs to town and then out of town to the north, the only trick is getting through town where a series of arrows guides you through what often appear to be sidewalks, driveways, or parking lots. Eventually it becomes second nature and your autopilot kicks in after too many Brights, but it can be intimidating the first time. You're certainly welcome to follow us.

See you Friday.

Thanks for the heads up, at that early in the morning I'll gladly follow, lol. I did the same with our tickets, CO FF miles for one and NW for the other. We're on the 4:45 flight out of LAX, so if you need us to get you a wheelchair to get you to the gate after your layover we can work something out, lol. I learned to cut my sleep short the nights before the flights so I can sleep sitting up, I'll be the one sawing the logs behind you :). Here's a pic a friend posted on another board showing his view from his place this morning, hopefully things calm down.

Mark

attachment.php

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom