Yet again - recommendation for two backup lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

charlier

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hi all - I am looking for recommendation for two backup lights - reliability, compact size (worn on my harness straps), good light output or punch, no handle required (just snap on the end), and tight beam angle. Or perhaps I am missing something? So far, I have considered DRIS 1k Shorty, DRIS 1k, UTD Viz 15, Light-For-Me Backup MINI 3XPG (perhaps not tight enough beam), or Light-For-Me Backup mini XML II (not sure on beam width). I assume that I can do better than my Halycon Scout. Suggestions are welcome. Thanks

I really like Intova's (Home - Intova) offerings for that use. Simple and rugged. One big button on base: bright, not so bright, and off. Great for clunky coldwater gloves. Got mine from Cave Adventurers.

IntovaLight.jpg

I used to use the DRIS 1000 lights, but I found they were too bulky and never sat smoothly on my harness. The right side light always jabbed me I the side too when I wore a can light. They were really heavy, and it also felt kinda stupid having backups that were as bright as my can light.

I got some dorcy 220s now and they stow nicely, as they're much shorter. They aren't nearly as bright and have plenty of burn time. Now I have one of my DRIS 1000s in a goodman mount and use it as a primary when the can light isn't worth the hassle. Wanna buy a used DRIS 1000, (half used) batteries included?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[h=3]Dorcy 41-1467 Dive II Submersible Anti-Corrosion LED Diving Flashlight with Nylon Lanyard, 220-Lumens, Black Finish... by Dorcy (Jul 28, 2013)[/h]

---------- Post added September 25th, 2014 at 07:52 AM ----------

Dorcy 41-1467 Dive II Submersible Anti-Corrosion LED Diving Flashlight with Nylon Lanyard, 220-Lumens, Black Finish... by Dorcy (Jul 28, 2013)

I used to use the DRIS 1000 lights, but I found they were too bulky and never sat smoothly on my harness. The right side light always jabbed me I the side too when I wore a can light. They were really heavy, and it also felt kinda stupid having backups that were as bright as my can light.

I got some dorcy 220s now and they stow nicely, as they're much shorter. They aren't nearly as bright and have plenty of burn time. Now I have one of my DRIS 1000s in a goodman mount and use it as a primary when the can light isn't worth the hassle. Wanna buy a used DRIS 1000, (half used) batteries included.Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree, I was trying to find a shorter light that still had punch. That is why I thought that the DRIS 1k was a bit clunky. Thanks for the offer, but... I am a bit hesitant to purchase a light without personal experience.

Hog Morphs are my choice, not the cheapest, but I don't have any issues with them on the sides and while they are rechargeable, I prefer that, even for backups, especially with Li-Po being as reliable as it is

I recently bought two Dive Rite BX-1 lights for this purpose from cave country. I paid $50 in the store, although I see their online price is $75. It's only a 220 lumen light. On the up side, they run on standard AA or rechargeable 18650 cells.

+1 on the Dorcy. Well made, not too expensive, tight beam, standard batteries, works well clipped to a D-ring and run through a snoopy loop.

I like the XTAR d06 the updated version. You can find these on Ebay for about $70. They use the 18650 or 18700 battery, are compact, and can be turned on/off with one hand. In fact they have continuous brightness adjustment so you can dim it to read gauges or fluoresce the compass.

I agree, I was trying to find a shorter light that still had punch. That is why I thought that the DRIS 1k was a bit clunky. Thanks for the offer, but... I am a bit hesitant to purchase a light without personal experience.

The Dorcy has enough power, IMO. If you do go for it, be very careful with the threads, they're easy to damage when reassembling the light. I'd stand the light up on a desk with the lens facing the tabletop as you screw it in.
If you get it from Pirhana dive manufacturing, it's around $90 for two lights with bolt snaps. They have great after sale support too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom