Yesterday I was scratching through an old dive....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

widget

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
....box and I came across two of these old computers.

Anybody remember them, still got one maybe.?

Its an old Dacor Micro Brain, I estimate I got them in the 80's sometime, mid 80 maybe, it was as far as I know Dacors very first effort at a dive computer and a fine example it was too, a kind of swivel top kept the face damage free and closed real snug around your arm with velcro - easy to read numbers, no clutter and gave you all the info you really needed.

Downside was it has a sealed case so battery changes are a bit iffy - but the amazing thing is as you can see - IT STILL WORKS.:D

Attachments

• BRAN.jpg
    BRAN.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 52
  • M-21.jpg
    M-21.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 63
I used one of those in 2005. My dive buddy got it from his boss. My buddy used it for some years before he bought
his Sunto. That computer must be 15-20 years old. It's only good for air. I used it in Cozumel the first year I got certified. The batteries have never been changed on his and it is still working too.
The unit doesn't get much use any more but my buddy told me it still turns on.

One of my buddies dived with an old computer from the 80s which he found in an old drawer. When the battery died, he couldn't find anyone who sold the type of battery which it took (looks like two AA batteries fused lengthwise).

Don't make 'em like they used to. Good old 'bendomatics'.

The black one was the first one out. Then came the Micro Brain II in Grey. Dove that in the late 80's and well into the early 90's. it didn't do well in cold water below 40. They were suppose to come out with a charger for it. But it never happened. It had 345 hours of dive time when I traded it in on an Oceanic. Nice unit at the time!

tb

The black one was the first one out. Then came the Micro Brain II in Grey. Dove that in the late 80's and well into the early 90's. it didn't do well in cold water below 40. They were suppose to come out with a charger for it. But it never happened. It had 345 hours of dive time when I traded it in on an Oceanic. Nice unit at the time!

tb

Yes, thinking back I can remember that, I didnt know about the charger though.

I will take mine for a dive tomorrow or thursday and see how it go's, I tossed it in the pool and it registres depth etc, so I think it will be fine - considering it hasnt been in the water for gee, I dont know, 20 years I am amazed it still switched on. :D

One of my buddies dived with an old computer from the 80s which he found in an old drawer. When the battery died, he couldn't find anyone who sold the type of battery which it took (looks like two AA batteries fused lengthwise).

Don't make 'em like they used to. Good old 'bendomatics'.

Yeah, very true, things today tend to have a much shorter life span, why I dont know.!

Just as an aside I also found this old Pennform console, now this was a great unit, you could adapt it to fit any dimension gauge and compass by cutting the ribs on the lower case to hold the modules, worked a treat and I used them extensively back then, you could fit a slate on the back and strap your computer to the lower arm which was all kinda neat - of course all "common place" today but back in them years you had to make do. :D

Attachments

• 29042011032.jpg
    29042011032.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 47
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom