Yes, Virginia, there really is a huge squid

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think it's hilarious that all anyone can talk about in these news articles is how big the calamari rings would be. Reminds me of that Onion article: "New, Delicious Species Discovered"

jaybombs25:
I personally would love to see one diving would be freaked out for a wile but after the inital shock i would be in total awe

I assume you are referring to the shock of being eaten alive? :D Even little (relatively speaking of course) 90lb Humbolt squid have viciously attacked divers. These things are like Chuck Norris. ie. If you can see him, he's close enough to kill you. If you can't see him it's because he's right behind you and 'POW!', you're dead. :rofl3:

I would rather encounter a Kodiak bear or a G.W. than be in the water with any of the big squid species (giant or colossal).

-Ben

ElGuano:
I think it's hilarious that all anyone can talk about in these news articles is how big the calamari rings would be. Reminds me of that Onion article: "New, Delicious Species Discovered"

Species isn't excacly new....or newly discovered.

Colossals are actually considerably better known to us than Archeteuthus. They have been washing up on beaches and turning up in fishing nets for a long time now. It is just this last one that happened to have gotten hauled up alive... :wink:

gangrel441:
Not from what I have heard about these guys...more like eaten...

From what we know, colossals are pretty foul-tempered, and quite potent predators. I would no more want to be in the water with one of these guys than I would with a Megaladon. :11:

This is the most likely event if you were to meet one while diving.

They live very deep and are feed on by sperm whales. That would be a fight I would like to see.

DeputyDan:
This is the most likely event if you were to meet one while diving.

They live very deep and are feed on by sperm whales. That would be a fight I would like to see.

Yep...in a King Kong vs. Godzilla kind of a way....I'd venture to say the sperm whale is King Kong from our vantage point... :D

airsix:
If you can see him, he's close enough to kill you. If you can't see him it's because he's right behind you and 'POW!', you're dead. :rofl3:

-Ben
:icosm13: :shocked:

gangrel441:
Species isn't excacly new....or newly discovered.

Colossals are actually considerably better known to us than Archeteuthus. They have been washing up on beaches and turning up in fishing nets for a long time now. It is just this last one that happened to have gotten hauled up alive... :wink:

True, but that doesn't change the fact that they're still delicious!:rofl3:

___de-lurk___
:14:
This is not an Architheuthys, but a Mesonychoteuthis hamiltoni.

This one gets even bigger, but Architheutys arms are much longer making the beast even sacrier to us punys humans.
:14:
___re-lurk___

As said above. After hearing and seeing what moderate sized Humbolts can do when agitated. I would deff freak out a little if I saw a almost 1000lb 39ft squid coming towards me

I wonder how many of them have surface high enough to attack a diver?? Probably none... I imagine one could finish off a scuba diver in a hurry...

Back
Top Bottom