Yes there are women commercial divers !

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You are so right, but it will happen even if following baby steps, at least you see one third level from the top.

Takes for ever to push the door open but usually the women that manage to push hard enough to enter, have the tendency to leave it ajar so the next woman can go through a but easier.

I dont leave the door open i break it down! There shouldn't be any obstacles for females who enter this field of work. There shouldn't be any excuse as to why we shouldn't be here. Ive heard them all, And if i listened to all of them i wouldn't be where im at .

Yes that is me im also on other pages as well. The opening paragraph is also about me. Im glad you enjoyed it.
Take Care and dive safe and dive often, Liz

Good for you... stay strong and be safe downthere

How many female sub pilots (counting OMADS)? Sylvia Earle, Lynne Carter Hanson, Lesley Ewin, Edie Widder, ...

How many female sub pilots (counting OMADS)? Sylvia Earle, Lynne Carter Hanson, Lesley Ewin, Edie Widder, ...

not enough...

As long as they are so few that you can name them, there is a way to go.

As long as a woman diver (or land-surveyor or engineer or fill in the black) shows up to a job site and the person in charge addresses her male assistant instead of addressing her, there will doors to brake.

Those are just the women sub pilots that I know ... I'm sure there are more. They were all associated with Deep Rover, Deep Flight, Graham Hawke's shop or the CANDIVE Operation (Phil Nuyton).

It is still rare to see women working underwater. I'm hoping to live long enough to see the day when a mediocre women gets hired as a diver, just like so many mediocre men do. For now only the exceptionally good ones get hired.

Not complaining though, I'm lucky to see the brand new kids going through Navy Dive School. It is so cool to see 1 or 2 girls in the group of punks getting their butts kicked around the base early mornings, some days at the end of the pack others at the very front. Just as eager (and ready) to do well as the boys in the group.

It is even cooler when you see a woman among the instructors.

We are getting there.

I've had three female divers working for me. Two I fired because they couldn't do the job and the other was an excellent worker. I've seen women get jobs that they don't deserve because they were female and another not get a break because she was.

I've only hired what I believe to be exceptionally good divers. That's the nature of the business. If you can't cut it, find another occupation. I realize that people learn through experience and I've got quite a bit of patience, but I don't believe in quitting, nor should any diver on the team.

In the military, I haven't seen a woman diver worth their salt, but I put some men in the same category. I think it's a two edged sword. What it comes down to is evaluating the individual on their own merit. It's not a matter of a person's sex. I believe in equal pay and opportunity based solely on merit. In this context, affirmative action is counter-productive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom