Yes, another p-valve installation thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LG Diver

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
OK- I've read all the collective widsom of the board about installing p-valves, but before I go punch a hole in my new DS I thought I'd see if there are any last-minute words of wisdom. I just bought one of the new Halcyon balanced p-valves. I also just bought one of these to install it:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8278340243&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWN:IT&rd=1

I haven't seen too much said about where to place it. I'm intending to route the hose from the cath up and through the undergarment zipper in one big loop and then down to the p-valve. Is there any criticality in where to put the p-valve, or just somewhere on the inner thigh? Most pictures I've seen put it about in the middle of the thigh (height-wise). Any other considerations as far as placement goes?

The installation seems pretty straightforward. Wrap a 2x4 in a towel to protect the suit. Put it in the leg of the suit behind where I want the hole. whack the hell out of the leather punch while holding breath. roughen surfaces of suit and valve with sandpaper. Apply Aquaseal to both halves of valve. Screw together and let sit for 24 hours.

Anything I've missed? I'm planning to do all of this before I send the suit off to have new boots and seals installed, so if I royally hose it up someone with more sense than me will catch it when the suit is pressure-tested.

Why not just have them do the valve install also? Part sense of adventure, part desire to save $90.

Sound like you have a handle on it. If you have a solid SOLID base material under the hole punch, it will go much smoother. Wood might be a little soft.

Measure twice, cut once :)

Heck, if I can do it, anyone can.

You don't need to use a towel on the board, the suit is not that delicate. Just slip it into the leg and punch a hole. You only have to roughen the delrin on the P valve, and the washer, not the suit. Be sure to spread the glue out over the entire surfaces that need to be glued and onto the threads a little bit. Dont go nuts with the glue!! it will squeeze out all over the suit and make for a crappy looking job! Then assemble it being careful to orient the hose in the direction you want. And (my opinion) use Mc
Mc Netts glue. Piece of cake!

When you place the hole, keep in mind where you have pockets or plan to put future pockets. But too far inside the inner thigh isn't good either- since the p-valve will rub on the opposite leg. Mine is kinda in the middle - 1 o'clock - between 12 o'clock (front of thigh) and 3 o'clock (inside of left leg). The height isn't as critical as long as it doesn't interfere with the pockets. Leave the hose long- you can cut it later, but I think that longer is better since it will be easier to turn in the loop. I also suggest starting the project with a beer or two- it will make it easier to test the finished product- just wait for the glue to cure. :D

Good luck!

do it easy:
When you place the hole, keep in mind where you have pockets or plan to put future pockets. But too far inside the inner thigh isn't good either- since the p-valve will rub on the opposite leg. Mine is kinda in the middle - 1 o'clock - between 12 o'clock (front of thigh) and 3 o'clock (inside of left leg). The height isn't as critical as long as it doesn't interfere with the pockets. Leave the hose long- you can cut it later, but I think that longer is better since it will be easier to turn in the loop. I also suggest starting the project with a beer or two- it will make it easier to test the finished product- just wait for the glue to cure. :D

Good luck!

Good point on the pockets. I forgot to point out that the suit already has thigh pockets on both legs, so I was thinking of putting the valve like you said, about the 1 o'clock position which would put it about 2-3 inches away from the edge of the pocket, and about in the middle of the pocket height-wise.

I also like the idea of the beers- mostly to steady the mallet-swinging hand, though I don't know that I can hold it for 24 hours until the glue cures to test it out. It may call for another 2 beers the following night.

And, while I'm at it, be sure to rinse out the p-valve occasionally- there are horror stories of infections and what not. I use a squeeze bottle with a tapered top and force water through it to flush it out. I'll use vinegar occasionally, but will still rinse it with water to remove the vinegar.

Of all the gear that I've bought, the p-valve has given me the most satisfaction. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom