Yellowtail Jack?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Couv

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hello All,

This little rascal attacked me every time I passed near a certain area of "his" rig.
It was yesterday 26 June 10, about 40 ft deep on an oil rig ~ 24 miles south of Freeport, TX

Please ID this feisty character for me.

Thank you,

Couv

Oops, I missed the picture.. Yes., perhaps yellow jack. I have seen them at FGB on occasion. but the bar through the eye & small dorsal suggests Amberjack. They all look the same once they are fillets.

Looks like an Almaco jack, Seriola rivoliana aka: Longfin Yellowtail, which is not the plain ol' Yeller jack. Same family as species lalandi aka Yellowtail Jack & dumerili aka Greater Amberjack, which is longer & sleeker.

almacojack1.jpg

Last edited:
How big would you say that he is...looking at the picture I would guess about 12"-18"
At smaller sizes juvenile Seriola are a serious pain.
Based on the dorsal and anal fin lengths (hard to really tell in that picture) but they dont really look to be long, which would make it Seriola rivoliana, I am leaning more torwards either Greater or Lesser AJ, Seriola dumerili or Seriola fasciata

Ryan - I ruled out the amberjacks because of the height of the back above center -- amberjacks have less up top than below -- and because this fish seems to be older than I originally thought -- there are no transitional blotches on it. The only adult that fits that, in my analyis, is the Almaco. (I've never seen a young AJ in the field -- only really beeg ones -- so I don't have in-water experience to guide me.)
I don't think we can really use the anal fin length in this action shot. The other fins seem consistent with Almaco to me.
Whatd'ya think about this reasoning?

Folks, this guy was small; I would say 9-10 inches. One thing making the ID difficult for me is the yellow in the tail and anal fins. Perhaps that's not an important item. After reading your post, I searched through several web sites to find a picture to help ID it, but the yellow in the tail section has me flummoxed. The closest picture I've found has my untrained eye leaning toward the Lesser Amberjack http://www.charlestonfishing.com/fishid.asp but ddeborahdelamar's picture looks pretty close too except the body on my fish seemed to have a bit less hump.

Couv

Lesser Amberjack, Fish Identification looks pretty close, but in my picture above I don't see a small fin in front of the dorsal.

c

You rarely see the first dorsal fin of Jacks, they have a depression that the fin folds down in to, which makes them more hydrodynamic. Here a 2 pictures that I found

Seriola dumerili
IMG_0959.jpg

Seriola rivoliana
P9010231.jpg

Sorry about the sideways picture...photobucket is not playing nice

Back
Top Bottom